caller id not working

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Dr268
Great Britain

caller id not working

Post by Dr268 »

when I receive a phone call it only shows the phone number and not the name

the xt shows my phone book ok and in the call history it shows the names that were dialled and received on the phone previously but anything received when the sena and xt are connected is just a number

the garmin app has the permissions all set for call logs, contacts, phone, etc

I know I am missing a box ticked somewhere but have looked everywhere and cant find it.

Its annoying when a call comes in and people assume you know who it is and talk away and I am trying to work out who it is.

Phone is a Samsung S10

thanks
woodyflyer
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Re: caller id not working

Post by woodyflyer »

I had a similar issue using my android phone . I have a Zumo 660 and it worked fine all call details.
Same phone with my XT and had a problem on some incoming calls.
The problem was in my contacts list , numbers listed with a country code ie +44 did not show callers name , edited the numbers to remove the country code to normal number resolved the issue on most , but still have an odd one now and then that doesn't work.
Let me know if that helps
🤞👍
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 229 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

As above

I had the issue and it was the country code that was causing it
Dr268
Great Britain

Post by Dr268 »

woodyflyer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:28 am I had a similar issue using my android phone . I have a Zumo 660 and it worked fine all call details.
Same phone with my XT and had a problem on some incoming calls.
The problem was in my contacts list , numbers listed with a country code ie +44 did not show callers name , edited the numbers to remove the country code to normal number resolved the issue on most , but still have an odd one now and then that doesn't work.
Let me know if that helps
🤞👍
unfortunately didn't make any difference

thanks
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - there are various places where permissions may need to be set up. This is a catch-all solution for anyone looking for an answer to a similar problem. I know that you are getting the phone call notifications, but it is not displaying the contact. I suspect it is just the contact information that you are missing. But I have just re-installed my Drive app, and these are the settings that I currently have, and they work with SMS, Email and Phonecalls - including the caller's name - but it doesn't then show the phone number !

These are my settings - which I intend to reduce when I find that I don't need some of them.

Settings -> Apps -> Drive
Notifications = Allowed. (allow sound and vibration)
Permissions = Call Logs, Contacts, Files and Media, Location, Microphone, Nearby Devices, Phone

Settings ->Apps->Phone
Notifications = Allowed. (eg allow sound and vibration)
Permissions = Call Logs, Contacts, Files and Media, Location, Phone, SMS (usually set either 'Allow' or "Only while using the app")

Settings ->Apps->Email
Notifications = Allowed. (eg allow sound and vibration)
Permissions = Contacts, Files and Media

Settings ->Apps->Messages
Notifications = Allowed. (allow sound and vibration)
Permissions = Call Logs, Contacts, Files and Media, Phone, SMS

Settings -> Notifications
In there, I have a list of apps which are turned on or off with a slider button. The relevant ones that I have turned on are:
Email, Drive, Messages, Phone is also there, but there is no option.

Make sure that you have not got 'Do Not Disturb turned on' or if you have, check that it only applies at typical beditmes, or that you allow certain programs to be exempt from 'Do Not Disturb'

In the Drive App itself
Gear Icon, top right ->Smart Notifications.
You can tick / untick Alerts, Email, Incidents, Messages, Reminders, Social, Other.

I think that although you may have permitted (say) email to create alerts, and Drive to receive them, this selection is what controls the alerts that are sent out to the XT. It wouldn't be any good enabling email on here, but not allowing a notification to be sent from the phone settings.

I suspect in your case that it may be the Contacts permissions in the phone APp settings that needs to be selected.

nb - if testing this, it doesn't work sending a text SMS to yourself using the Message App (not Messenger - I don't use that). Your phone doesn't create an alert for this situation 'cos it knows that you have the message app open.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Dr268
Great Britain

Post by Dr268 »

thanks for the replies

as a last resort I deleted everything and started again

no idea why but everything is back to default permission settings and it works

thanks all