Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
phenderson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Voice navigation gone

Post by phenderson »

Hello all

I wonder if someone can help. Recently my Zumo XT has stopped giving me voice navigation commands. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly when, so I can't tie it down to a particular event such as a software upgrade.

It makes no difference whether I create a route using MRA or Basecamp, or set a destination directly in the Zumo from the "Where to?" button, I get the voice command "Please drive to highlighted route" proving the connection between the Zumo and my helmet headset is working, although after that command I get nothing. I do get audible warnings for speed limits in the form of beeps and the route shows as expected (magenta line) with white arrows for turns on the screen.

I have checked all the settings and as far as I can make out nothing would prevent navigation commands being read out. I have searched this forum but couldn't find anything related to this problem (maybe my search criteria is wrong!) I found a video on YouTube posted by Garmin entitled "Support: Troubleshooting Voice Command" that talks through four things to check. The first two are settings which I had set correctly, the other 2 things were to reload all the maps onto the Zumo and also reload the appropriate language files - English obviously in my case. Having done all this I tested the unit and there is no difference, I have no navigation voice commands after the initial "Please drive to highlighted route"

I did a reset but again this did not fix the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong, or what I need to do to get it talking to me again?

I am using only the default maps installed at purchase, all of which have been updated to the latest version. The software version is also the latest 6.50. Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Philip
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Voice navigation gone

Post by Peobody »

Confirm that spoken navigation is enabled. It is an option of the Volume button. I don't think this is the problem since you are hearing "Please drive to highlighted route" but I think it is worth ruling out.

Have you ruled out an issue with the headset? Can you hear the navigation through the speaker of the XT when it is disconnected from the headset? You will likely need maximum master volume and perhaps a route on neighborhood streets depending on how loud your bike is or how quite your helmet is..
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 748 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The voice instructions stop if you have automatic recalculation turned off and you deviate from the plotted route - ie the magenta line.

The most common example of this happening (when you can be convinced that the satnav is working as it should be) is if you start a route and the start point is a few yards behind you when you set off. The satnav is expecting you to go back and visit it. But you dont. You have auto recalc turned off so it doesn't give you instructions. The magenta line is plotted ahead, you are following it (you think), but all of the time the satnav is expecting you to visit the start point.

Try it. Create a short route with the start point half a mile behind you on the same road, and a couple of other route points ahead of you but on. Have auto recalc turned off. Say Go! and do not go back to the start.

One way that you can check if this is happening, is to tap the skip button, and it will tell you the name of the first route point in its list that it has not yet visited. You can skip this point (ie remove it from the route), and you may have to do the same with any other points that you have driven past. When you have the next route point in front of your present position and you are still on the magenta route, it will start talking to you again.

Of course, it may not be this ..... but you said that it had told you to drive to the highlighted route - so it is a distinct possibility.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
phenderson
Great Britain

Post by phenderson »

Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

I should have mentioned in my original post, spoken navigation is switched on so it's not that. And I have tested it while being a passenger in our car, with the volume turned up, still no commands so I know it's not the headset or connection to it. Thanks for the prompt on that Peobody, definitely worth checking.

I was not aware that the voice instructions stop in the scenario you describe John, yet I can confirm that this is not the case, useful to remember for future reference. I have recalculation turned off, but when I created my test routes I purposely put the start point just round the corner from the end of my road in the direction of travel making it impossible not to pass through that point. Also while testing this route, I pulled over half way through and stopped the route, reloaded it and selected Closest Entry Point in the knowledge that the nearest point was ahead on the route I'd created and not behind. This was was created in Basecamp and made very sure all the via points were positioned correctly on the road.

I will turn on recalculation and retest to see if I get a different response - just to be sure.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Make sure only one routable map for your area is activated in Settings>Map & Vehicle>myMaps. I've lost voice directions (and distance display to the next turn) when a Garmin NT map and an OSM map were checked at the same time.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

phenderson wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:31 pm Hello all

I wonder if someone can help. Recently my Zumo XT has stopped giving me voice navigation commands. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly when, so I can't tie it down to a particular event such as a software upgrade.

It makes no difference whether I create a route using MRA or Basecamp, or set a destination directly in the Zumo from the "Where to?" button, I get the voice command "Please drive to highlighted route" proving the connection between the Zumo and my helmet headset is working, although after that command I get nothing. I do get audible warnings for speed limits in the form of beeps and the route shows as expected (magenta line) with white arrows for turns on the screen.

I have checked all the settings and as far as I can make out nothing would prevent navigation commands being read out. I have searched this forum but couldn't find anything related to this problem (maybe my search criteria is wrong!) I found a video on YouTube posted by Garmin entitled "Support: Troubleshooting Voice Command" that talks through four things to check. The first two are settings which I had set correctly, the other 2 things were to reload all the maps onto the Zumo and also reload the appropriate language files - English obviously in my case. Having done all this I tested the unit and there is no difference, I have no navigation voice commands after the initial "Please drive to highlighted route"

I did a reset but again this did not fix the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong, or what I need to do to get it talking to me again?
As others have said if you have after market OSM maps enabled, you will lose voice guidance,

I am using only the default maps installed at purchase, all of which have been updated to the latest version. The software version is also the latest 6.50. Any suggestions?

Many thanks
Philip
phenderson
Great Britain

Post by phenderson »

Good news. I have solved my problem.

While typing my response (see below) to the suggestions posted one thing suddenly occured to me, and after a quick drive round the block proved my inkling to be true.

You will see in the text below a list of maps installed on my Zumo XT ending with two identical British maps. I wondered if this is a error and they are conflicting with each other. Spot on. Deselect one of them and all is behaving as it should be.

So my question is...
How did this duplicate map get there? and
How can I remove it?

Next time I update the maps the Zumo may reselect it creating the same problem over again. I've connected it to my PC and looked in the file structure on the XT but cannot find any files that relate to the individual map versions. Any suggestions?

------- Prepared message before final successful test ---------

So, I have tested out the suggestions posted by Peobody, jfheath and Ikraus.

Spoken navigation is switched on.
My headset is connected and working - all other audible info arrives to my headset.
Testing in the car I have turned all volume controls to maximum (obviously without my headset). I can hear the initial "Please drive to highlighted route message" and audible speed warnings.
I have changed the Automatic Recalculation to Auto, originally set to Off.
Test routes have been simple 4 sides of a square round the block ensuring the starting point is over 100m down my road, so should eliminate the missed via point problem, with two shaping points and two via points. Route created in Bascamp to eliminate other possible errors.

The next suggestion is where I probably need some help (and will demonstrate my ignorance). Ikraus understandably points out that I should not have more than one routable map enabled. I am only using the default set of maps installed when I purchased the XT, although these have been updated when prompted.
They are listed under myMaps as follows:
Europe DEM
CN Europe NTU 2023.10 ALL North
CN Europe NTU 2023.10 ALL South
CN Europe NTU 2023.10 Foursquare
TopoActive PS Europe 2021.20, West
TopoActive PS Europe 2021.20, East
TopoActive PS Europe 2021.20, Central
CN Europe NTU 2023.10 Parkopedia
TTSTD-British-Isles
TTSTD-British-Isles

All the above are ticked, yet after Ikraus' comment I have tested with some (but not all) variations of selected maps.

I still have no voice commands for navigation.

Would someone in the UK confirm that the above list of maps is correct, or at least what they have with a fully working Zumo XT. I am a little confused by the double entry for British Isles map. Also, how do I know which maps are routable?

Is it possible to delete all maps and then reinstall only the latest of the necessary maps for my region. If it is a map issue this might solve the problem. But I don't want to 'brick' the Zumo!
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You certainly don't want the topo maps ticked at the same time as the CN maps as anytime you have two maps selected covering the same area there will be issues. AFAIK you must have put the 2 identical maps there. Simplest way to delete them and check they are really identical is to run JaVaWa's Device Manager program

https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html
FrankB
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I don't think that program will work for the XT, as the XT only supports MTP. And Javawa doesnt support MTP.

A pitty because Javawa has great tools. (Like RTWtool to unglitch)
FrankB
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@phenderson

To begin with I would untick the 2 'TTSD British Isles' maps. The rest I recognise, and have never caused problems.