Trying to understand XT setup.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Re: Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by KingRat »

jfheath wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:22 am Tap the map. The map changes and loses the navigation screen. You can tap the arrow to cycle the display to 'north up' 'direction up' or 3d.

You can shrink the map-pinch gestures the '-' button and zoom in, and You can drag the map.

I tend to zoom right out, put where I want in the centre and then zoom in to get the detail. It is still only a road map though unless you get 3rd party maps eg OSM - Open Street Maps.

Of course you can always use the search facility to get you somewhere close.
Thanks. I am looking forward to having a play when my power lead turns up. I haven't turned it on yet.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

I finally plucked up the curage to try my XT out today. I have been reticent to use it with the bits missing but a friend asked me to collect a motorbike for him from Mallory Park, so off I went with the trailer behind the car.... I had the car mount so decided to use this as an opportunity to use the thing for the first time.

1. How do you get the keyboard to show please? It would only show part of it. Numbers no problem.

2. Where is the menu to change the navigation settings please?

I did manage to put the post code in, eventually, but I can't remember what I did to do it. The route it wanted me to go was constantly trying to atke me off the most direct route there. To the point it wanted me to backtrack to go the way it thought I should be going. There must be something somewhere to make it more sensible - I mean why would you go north to head south?
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

1. The keyboard is split into 2 halves to allow for big gloved fingers. Switch to the other half of the keyboard by tapping the arrow symbol left or right.

Also, if you go to settings -> language and keyboard -> keyboard layout you can select options. There are two for UK: One is for large buttons, one is for full width QWERTY layout You can tick either of these, or you can tick both.

If you tick both, your keyboard shows an extra button with a globe symbol. Selecting this will instantly toggle between the large buttons with half keyboard layout, and the smaller buttons with full qwerty keyboard layout.

I'll let someone else answer q2.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thanks. Where do I get to settings? I can't find a button for 'menu' anywhere?
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

KingRat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:38 am Thanks. Where do I get to settings? I can't find a button for 'menu' anywhere?
'Settings' is on the main screen with 'Where to' and 'View Map', it is in the bottom right corner.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thanks, I missed it.
Having another explore of the screens....
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Well, I found the menu - it is three dots instead of 'menu'. Why? Everything is always being changed for no logical reason!

I have to admit, i am struggling to use the thing. I couldn't turn off the place I was going to today. I must have spent an hour trying to make it stop taking me to the place I had put in and I can't find how to delete certain places from the list.

Is there a difference to 'history' and 'favourites'? I am finding all this very confusing. On a brighter note, my cable and mounting have arrived, so some trying to get it fitted on Monday.
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm I have to admit, i am struggling to use the thing. I couldn't turn off the place I was going to today. I must have spent an hour trying to make it stop taking me to the place I had put in
I'm a little confused as to what you were doing at the time. Tell me very basically: did you "put in" a place to route to then press GO? In other words: were you following an ACTIVE ROUTE? That's one with the purple line to follow.

KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm and I can't find how to delete certain places from the list.
What "list" are you talking about? Be specific. For instance, you mention "favourites" but AFAIK the XT doesn't have "favourites". If you mean "Where To/Saved" then say that. I know it sounds picky but it DOES make a difference.

KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm Is there a difference to 'history' and 'favourites'? I am finding all this very confusing. On a brighter note, my cable and mounting have arrived, so some trying to get it fitted on Monday.
If there are 2 different names then they are two different things. Garmin is really good about applying only 1 definition to a term.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Hang on Russ. We are being caught out by being divided by a common language here !

You are in the USA. @KingRat is in the UK.

Points that are created as Waypoints in Basecamp (using the waypoint flag tool) appear in a special place on the XT screen.

In the UK this is in Where To -> Favourites
In the USA this is in Where To -> Saved

It is the same thing - just a different word.

I nearly always use 'Favourites / Saved Locations' (when I remember) to try to avoid this confusion.

(Switch your Settings / Language and Keyboard / Text Language between American English and British English - and take a look at the Where To Menu. You'll see what I mean.)
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm I have to admit, i am struggling to use the thing. I couldn't turn off the place I was going to today. I must have spent an hour trying to make it stop taking me to the place
To stop a route hit the three dot button and then the "Stop" button (upper left).
KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm I had put in and I can't find how to delete certain places from the list.
The ones in Where To? > Favorites can be deleted from an option accessed with the hamburger button (three bars).
KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pm Is there a difference to 'history' and 'favourites'?
Not that I know of, at least if talking about waypoints. Ones that you create on the XT or ones that are transferred from mapping software are stored in "Favourites".
KingRat wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:32 pmOn a brighter note, my cable and mounting have arrived, so some trying to get it fitted on Monday.
Good luck. I hope that is a positive experience.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.