Import Tracks from SD Card old track names

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Long Ride
United States of America

Import Tracks from SD Card old track names

Post by Long Ride »

I copied all my gpx tracks (100+) to my SD card and when I go to "Tracks" > "Import" it gives me all the old track names. ...so in my PC I delete all on the SD card and copy and paste them again ...and presto...same thing. What am I doing wrong?
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 338 times
United States of America

Re: Import Tracks from SD Card old track names

Post by Peobody »

Try rebooting the XT. My experience with routes and tracks on the SD card has led me to believe that the XT reads the SD card on boot-up and then stores info in memory. Changed SD card content isn't recognized until the next boot.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Long Ride
United States of America

Post by Long Ride »

After rebooting the XT and re-importing tracks from the SD card, I still get the same old track names...which don't match the files on the SD card......strange. How can that happen?
sussamb
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 368 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

This thread may help viewtopic.php?t=1955
Long Ride
United States of America

Post by Long Ride »

Thanks for all the guidance but I am still missing something... I deleted all the tracks on the SD card and what I believe are the temp.gpx tracks. Then repowered the XT several times. Then change the SD card and reformatted a new one > then rebooted two times > then copied all gpx files from PC on to new SD card then went to import tracks and I get the same old track names. What the heck is going on?

I also can't seem to display multiple tracks at once on the XT map like I could on the 396 but that's a different subject
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 338 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Long Ride wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:02 am Thanks for all the guidance but I am still missing something... I deleted all the tracks on the SD card and what I believe are the temp.gpx tracks. Then repowered the XT several times. Then change the SD card and reformatted a new one > then rebooted two times > then copied all gpx files from PC on to new SD card then went to import tracks and I get the same old track names. What the heck is going on?
Use a file explorer to look in the GPX directory located in internal storage of the XT. Any .gpx there will show up as available to import. Also, routes and tracks that are sitting in temp.gpx will show up as available for import until temp.gpx is replaced or deleted. It is a shame that Garmin did not provide a way to delete them from within the XT.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Long Ride
United States of America

Post by Long Ride »

Thanks again. I believe I have solved the riddle. I was changing my file naming for several GPX tracks in my RideWithGPS app and others in my Windows files. The ones I changed in the RWGPS app and saved them and re-exported the GPX file, updated properly in the XT after deleting the older track. However, the ones I just changed the name of the file in the Windows folder and then copied to the XT didn't update...leaving me to believe there was some embedded naming that never went away until I re-exported the GPX file. Maybe this will help someone else in the future. Thanks to all who replied.