XT occasionally switches off

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

XT occasionally switches off

Post by Sharkfighter »

Newbie here, I’ve got the XT and I love it. However when I’m using it it occasionally starts to shut down, informing me external power has been lost. I cancel the shutdown and it is either fine or after a while it does it again. I cancel the shutdown and it’s pot luck as to if it does it again. The unit is secure in the mount, as I thought it may be a loose connection. There’s no pattern as to when it happens, I went on a trip to Italy in June, taking it off and putting it back on the mount numerous times and not a problem.

Has this occurred to anyone else?
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 679 times
Great Britain

Re: XT occasionally switches off

Post by jfheath »

Welcome @Sharkfighter .

There could be a whole host of reasons for not charging, and there are plenty of posts on the forums. I've added a link to some of them below - which is easy enough to click. But to search for your own stuff to fine tune your won searches - click on the gear icon - top right of the page - and type in the words that you want to search for.

I selected +Battery +Charge and +Mount within the Zumo XT forum. The + is important in this case - it is a logical AND operator - ensuring that the found posts contain all 3 words. A lot of people have complained about the mount which is why I included that word.

See the screen shot. This gives two pages of results (<20 posts). If you right click and open them in a new tab, you'll keep the page containing the links available for other clicks.

search.php?keywords=%2Bbattery+%2Bcharg ... mit=Search
Attachments
search.jpg
search.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
overlookh

Post by overlookh »

Sometime appened to me.

I noticed that the springs is not able to push the two pins outside the base due the dust filed inside.
In doing so they establish weak contact with the Zumo.

Pushing many times the pin in ad out with the nail the issue breefly is resolved.

At home I used a bit of WD40 to lubrificate the pins.

Hope it's usefull.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

I have had this happen as well. I ended up doing a field repair. I use something called a Fuzeblock. It is a product with a built in relay and connection points for multiple devices. So I use this for my aftermarket heated grips, onboard camera and the Zumo XT. The Zumo XT wiring harness come with the power end tinned with solder both hot and ground (earth) about 1/4" in length.

I was out one day riding and the XT started to just shut down, I would press the power button and it would turn on and stay on for a bit then shut down. I never really saw a message but I was irritated enough where I stopped my ride on a dirt road and started to see what was going on. I found that the hot side of the power lead had broken at the point where the tinning ended on the wire and the connection to the Fuzeblock. But it would randomly connect from vibration. Re-did the connection and all is well.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Grabcon now that you’ve said that it could be the way I’ve wired it. I cut the connection for the BMW nav mount when I removed it and spliced into that. I’ll check the connection as thinking about when it has done it it has happened when travelling on a bumpy road.
cr0100
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times
United States of America

Post by cr0100 »

What did you use to splice into the connection? I'd say that soldering is ideal, next in line is something like a Posi-Tap. If you used one of those god-awful splicing gizmos that you kind of squeeze together with a pliers and has that little plastic cap that sort-of holds it shut, that could be a problematic connection for sure.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Using a Fuzeblock there are no splices. The wire connects directly to the busbar via a screwed connection.

https://www.fuzeblocks.com/Fuzeblocks-F ... k_p_1.html
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

I had issues also with my XT, and I tracked it down to the BMW aux power plug that I was using, and rough roads would give it an intermittent connection.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

I have the same problem with my 396. After help from JH and few experiments I think I'm getting closer to the problem source.
viewtopic.php?t=1727
ledwardio
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by ledwardio »

Mine has recently started doing this at random intervals and is the reason I've logged on to the forum – as I suspected it looks like I've got some investigation work to do :cry:

It's very frustrating that when it goes on to battery power it's almost impossible to see the display