Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Post by fatfeet »

believe me I have tried all ways to stop explore reactivating, I have used jfheath's method, but for me it still reactivates if I use drive to send routes across. I have even logged out of the Garmin explore website

as I wrote, I am obviously doing something wrong, I will do a reset and try again tomorrow.
also I have deleted the device from the app, and then reconnected, I have also deleted the drive app and reinstalled in the hope that would do it, alas to no avail.

I am using an iPad to do this.
who knows????
thanks @danham, above was my post from earlier in thread, I followed the instructions to the letter. the only way that it remains deactivated for me, is to not send routes via drive app.

so the way I have to carry out this task is, send routes via drive app, disconnect all bluetooth, iPad and xt, disable explore via hidden menu, then attaching xt to my Mac and sending the track via Basecamp
it works this way but it's a faff, and a bit frustrating, and as long as I don't allow my iPad to connect to the xt, explore will not activate.

or of course I could use BC to send everything, but when the route is imported from MRA it doesn't always remain the same, so I have to mess about making it so.
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You shouldn't have to go through this complex process. Neither should you have to disable Garmin Drive.

First Getting rid of the Explore connection. The Link that dan provided to my series of pages on the XT WILL wrok - but you have to do all of it.
  • Select: Home Screen -> View Map -> Click Speed Button -> Hold Speedo for 10 secs.
    This opens up the system Diagnostic Page. Be careful what you do in here!
  • Scroll down for Developer Tests and Tools -> Click
  • Scroll down to near the bottom Reset Explore Database -> Click.
    Nothing seems to happen. Back out using the return button until you get to the Home page.
  • Immediately turn the XT completely off - hold the power button in until the screen asks if you want to switch it off.
    Yes you do. Then restart.
    If you do not do this immediately, the XT will have chance to start talking to your phone and it will reactivate some of Explore's features.
  • Select Where To -> Explore and check that you get the screen indicating that you are not connected to your Explore account.
Note the word 'immediately'. A soon as you have exited the System screen get it turned off. If you do not, the XT will find a connection and reinstate the Explore facility. It may take ahalf a minute before it does this (unannounced), but it may take only a few seconds.

Garmin Drive is used to connect the outside world to the XT. So for example, it will transmit up-to-the minute photos of motorway junctions; weather information; raod traffic information; text messages; email and social media notification - if you allow them. It will also allow yyou to do things like send your routes by email - which saves the wear and tear and the delay fromt he BT connection. It also avoids the issues with temp.gpx being overwritten, and the BC transfer process renaming your route points.

All of the above I do from time to time. Drive is always active on my Phone. It is usually running in the background on my phone (you can't turn it off without uninstalling it). I occasionally enable Garmin Explore - just to check whether or not Garmin have updated the features, so that I am not giving people out of date information. I then disable Garmin Explore on the XT using the process i describe above, and it works every time, and it doesn't reconnect.

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I have never connected my XT to my wifi system. The thought that Garmin could update my software without me knowing about it, bothers me a bit.

Explore has some really nice features. But they force me into a way of working that I'm not interested in using.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

hi @jfheath

I have followed your instructions to the letter, but I always have the same problem
Drive is always active on my XT.
this might be a silly question, noting the above quote, where is the drive app the XT, I do not have an icon, perhaps this is the causing my issue. obviously I have it on my iPad and phone
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

There is no 'Drive' app on the Zumo XT - what @jfheath means is, that the Garmin 'Drive' app on the Smartphone is always active, you can't disable it!
Normally it's running 'invisible' in the background - if it's connected to the Zumo XT, you should see a 'd' logo in the status bar of the Zumo XT and also a 'd' logo in the notification area of your smartphone - at least on an Android phone...

For example:
Screenshot_2023-02-05_14-24-38.jpg
Screenshot_2023-02-05_14-24-38.jpg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
12800.png
12800.png (258.09 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Thanks @Rofor

Yes I intended to say: All of the above I do from time to time. Drive is always active on my Phone.

I have corrected it now. Sorry about that @fatfeet

That method has never failed me. Are you sure that you are turning the XT completely off ? - ie holding in the power button until the screen ask if you want Turn off Device ? It takes a few seconds for that repsonse. If you don't get that, you are just putting the XT to sleep - and that will allow the XT to reconnect through drive to Garmin Explore. The point is that turning it off forces the XT to re-boot itself using the new information. Putting it to sleep doesn't.

Apologies if this is exactly what you have done, but I have never come across the need to do it any differently - so I need to be sure before spending time looking into it.

I'll give it another go, see if some later software has messed up that method. I can't remember when I last tested it.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That method still works for me. With Drive still operational on the phone.

A quick way of testing is Where To ? -> Explore - you should get the 3 icon screen to set up Explore.
Where To ? -> Favourites should not have an orange banner at the top where Explore's Sync shows up.

I checked it without doing a complete shutdown too. That seemed to work too - but previously I had noticed a random reconnection after a few minutes - which the complete shutdown and reboot prevented.

fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

@jfheath
@Rofor

thanks guys,

I have just had another go,
followed the killing of explore to the letter, (hidden menu, I could do this with my eyes shut now) and immediately turned off XT pressing holding power until option of "off"

after powering up, home page>where to>explore, it was not activated, i.e. screen with two blue buttons, "cancel" and "connect now" I pressed cancel
opened iPad picked a route from MRA
connected iPad to XT and exported a route via the drive app. I do have the drive icon in the top menu bar of XT
exported to XT with no problem at all.

I then go into apps>tracks to enable show track on screen, and the option is not available, (and I know why)
I then go back to home page>where to>explore, which has reactivated, i.e. the screen with blue buttons is no longer showing, its the explore list, WAYPOINTS, TRACKS, ROUTES, COLLECTIONS etc etc, interestingly there are no routes in the routes tab, but the tracks tab does have the tracks.

I then go through the killing of explore but this time before I power up the XT, I disable bluetooth and wifi on my ipad.

power up, check explore it is not activated, screen with blue buttons, click cancel
check apps>tracks all the tracks have disappeared but the routes are still in apps>trip planner. screen shot below

I then enable bluetooth and wifi on my iPad and sit and watch the tracks screen on my XT after 30-45 seconds it starts to sync without any intervention from me.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

struggling with the images

Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 14.54.44.png
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 14.54.44.png (418.37 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 14.54.14.png
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 14.54.14.png (381.94 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

as I have wrote, the only way to stop explore from activating, is to make sure that my iPad or phone are not connected to the XT via bluetooth,
incidentally, wifi is not activated on my XT.