Dark scrolling patches on screen

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Suu Kyi
Been liked: 3 times
Australia

Dark scrolling patches on screen

Post by Suu Kyi »

Hi, just got a Zumo XT recently and have frequently noticed dark scrolling patches on the screen which move along almost as if they're clouds which I'm riding through. Clear days but even if there were clouds about I don't think it should show up on the screen. Doesn't last but returns intermittently. Could it be some kind of interference in the atmosphere between the unit and satellites? Haven't come across that issue with other GPSs. Has anyone else experienced the same issue, and if so what is the explanation please? Thanks.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 410 times
Been liked: 229 times
Great Britain

Re: Dark scrolling patches on screen

Post by Stu »

Could it be electrical interference from the bike?

Some bikes with keyless ignition have been known to knock the GPS out if its mounted close to the antenna
Suu Kyi
Australia

Post by Suu Kyi »

Thanks for your response Stu. I don't think it's electrical interference as if that was the case the issue would be more prevalent, only happens sometimes but often enough to notice. Looks exactly like grey clouds moving across the terrain, superimposed on the landscape. Will make a note of when/where it occurs, meaning as to whether it's in open countryside or in built up areas. Will also stop and take a photo of the screen if safe to do so which I can share on the forum.
Suu Kyi
Australia

Post by Suu Kyi »

Problem solved. The dark patches are indicating elevated terrain such as mountains, hills etc. Took 3D Terrain off in the settings and they've now disappeared. You can see in the attached photos the dark outline next to the river is an escarpment in the first picture and nothing in the second once that feature is removed. A learning curve it seems, glad I've solved the problem.
Attachments
3D Terrain.jpg
3D Terrain.jpg (512.23 KiB) Viewed 553 times
No 3D Terrain.jpg
No 3D Terrain.jpg (671.53 KiB) Viewed 553 times
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

:D
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC