when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Post by FrankB »

chris7444 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:00 pm Apparently there is something left on the PC that causes this undue calculation issue
You could try cleaning the tilecache before you do the exercise of reinstalling Basecamp.
viewtopic.php?t=2045

<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Garmin\MapSource\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Garmin\BaseCamp\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Garmin\MapInstall\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Garmin\Garmin Training Center(r)\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Local\Garmin\HomePort\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\MapSource\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\MapInstall\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\Garmin Training Center(r)\TileCache\*.*
<YourUser>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\HomePort\TileCache\*.*
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Relief shading on hills.

I can't have been paying attention when I spotted this, because it wasn't showin it this morning. And my searches were crashing Basecamp again.

I'll send you my GPX file that imported perfectly. See if it loads on yours. PM

Anyway I investigated. Discovered two things - both of which I knew about from years back, and remembered a third.

1. My XT was plugged in to the computer when I got the relief shading. I didn't think so, but I must have had the Europe DEM map selected - unless it loaded it in the background. Edit Ah - it displays with shading if the Zumo version of the 2022.3 map is accessed. I don't know if there is a way of getting the DEM map onto the computer.

3D shading.jpg
3D shading.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

2. For certain things to work in BAsecamp, you have to run it as administrator. I've always had a shortcut on my desktop, set up like that.
Find the EXE file for Basecamp, create a shortcut, put it on the desktop, Tick the run as administrator box.

Having just deleted everything and reinstalled it, it started crashing during searches. As soon as I ran it as an admin, it worked perfectly.
Run As Admin.jpg
Run As Admin.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

3. When installing Basecamp, never put the files anywhere except the recommended location. BC used to work with files placed in other locations, if you set the DOS PATH and APPEND paths (I think these were set automatically). But with later windows operating systems, this stopped working. It took me ages to find that out soon after I started using Basecamp.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:24 pm Having just deleted everything and reinstalled it, it started crashing during searches. As soon as I ran it as an admin, it worked perfectly.
Interesting. Garmin Express crashes whenever it is run from the Admin user account on my PC.

I am convinced that Garmin developers have not mastered installation for use by multiple users on a PC nor the concept of PC user accounts with standard privileges vs administrator privileges. I believe that if you are logged in as a standard user and install their software using "Run as administrator" that you end up with a faulty installation, at least faulty for that standard user because files are written in directories that a inaccessible to that standard user (applies to Win10 & Win11). It then makes sense that running it as administrator would allow access to those files. That is poor software design by Garmin.

I don't need help solving my Garmin Express crash issue. I don't need it to run from the Admin account. I did try uninstall/reinstall. I didn't dare allow it to delete data though since I didn't know how that would affect how it functions for my user account.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
chris7444
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

Post by chris7444 »

So I re-installed Basecamp after uninstalling everything Garmin using "Add or remove programs" then deleted all the files I could find in the usual folders (programdata, appdata\local|roaming etc ) and deleted as much garmin registry entries as I could.

Bad luck, Basecamp after reinstallation was crashing when searching....

I think I have tried everything (reinstall the map on the GPS with Garmin Express, Install on the PC with Garmin Express, use Map Install etc. Basecamp kept crashing when searching.

As a last resort. I decided to restore Windows using a restore point (never ever restored using a Windows restore point before today).
Basecamp crashed (Windows restore says they don;t touch user data, which suggests the crash is caused by the data used/generated by Basecamp)

I re-uninstalled everything Garmin but the CN map , re-installed Basecamp and it seems it does not crash anymore (for now).
Understand who can

Now, something new. I am surprised to find a map menu different from the one I had before (GPS connected)
maps menu.png
maps menu.png (17.97 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
When before the Maps menu was looking like this (GPS connected):
maps menu before.png
maps menu before.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Strange... How is your Maps menu looking when your GPS is connected ?

I have not tried the calculation thing at this point but if the GPS calculates routes when they contain waypoints found using the searcg tool I will keep it this way :)
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

jfheath wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:24 pm Relief shading on hills.
OK I have something similar. I was expecting something more spectacular. (a question I have about the topoActive maps but this off-topic)
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Hello Chris, John,

Like you I have been testing the crashes when searching.What I have found that makes NO difference:

- Reverting back to old (legacy) Basecamp version. Instead of crashing it used a lot of CPU.
- Reinstalling, cleaning up all left-overs like tile cache etc.
- I even freshly installed Windows in Virtualbox.
- Running as admin.
- Connecting the XT, and using that map.
- Using the OSM map.

Two (2) things that seem to make a difference, at least in my tests.

- The level of zooming. If I zoom out the map completely, so that Europe is completely visible it does not crash.
- If you first click on the 'More' button it does not crash.

From here it crashes:
crash.jpg
crash.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
From here it does not crash:
no crash.jpg
no crash.jpg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

And to get back on the original subject, why it is recalculating so long on import. 2 Via points that you @jfheath identified earlier
- 0040 Chanaz
- 0096 Col de la Chambotte

have a subclass field with a mapsegment number that is not part of City Navigator

<gpxx:Subclass>1461 38 4F E5 08 1280EE061200000000000000</gpxx:Subclass>

Mapsegment nbr:
08 E5 4F 38 => 149245752 ??????

For example Via point 'Route du Pont Neuf' has a Subclass with a mapsegment number that can be found in CN 2023.2
<gpxx:Subclass>0000 F9 DA CE 01 6E20FE060F20040095800F19</gpxx:Subclass>

Mapsegment nbr:
01 CE DA F9 => 30333689: CHAMBERY, FRANCE (not visible in screenshot JaVaWa GMTK...)

The 3rd waypoint '0000 Nonglard Route de Chez Dupraz' that you mention John, was used as the start and already had the special value '00ff'. I'm not so sure that that is causing a problem.

If a GPX is loaded with an unknown mapsegment number i'm not surprised that the XT starts to recalculate. The special value '00ff' seems alright, that's what @chris7444 confirmed.
Now for me the question that remains is, how did the invalid mapsegment numbers get there? It could very well be the result of the Basecamp crashes. Who knows?

Map segment numbers can be found with Javawa GMTK
gmtk.jpg
gmtk.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

FrankB wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:20 am
(redacted)

If a GPX is loaded with an unknown mapsegment number i'm not surprised that the XT starts to recalculate. The special value '00ff' seems alright.
Now for me the question that remains is, how did the invalid mapsegment numbers get there? It could very well be the result of the Basecamp crashes. Who knows?

Map segment numbers can be found with Javawa GMTK
gmtk.jpg
I am not understanding the details but I understand the general idea. At some point in the past ( ~4 weeks ago) I had an OSM map installed (and I think @jfheath mentioned that too). But because I started to experiment crashes when searching I started to susppect the CN+OSM map combination and decided to delete the OSM map from the GPS and Basecamp (but the crash remained). I had to perform a rain dance to come back to a situation where the search tool was no longer crashing (that was ~4 weeks ago)

Based on what you are saying, my best bet is that somehow Basecamp kept the result of an old search I made using that OSM map, in some cache (registry, HDD/{local/roaming} etc
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

I finally have recovered a Basecamp that no longer crashes when searching (so far)

@jfheath . I have transferred your new route and it loads in almost no time on my GPS. I tried to rebuild a route using search results to create waypoints and the GPS ... calculates when loading my version of the route. I am posting the route here so that @FrankB can have a look. If the results of my searches end up producing these unknown segment numbers / subclasses or whatever I am not sure I understand why and where they come from!

A workaround for me would be to use the search tool to locate the places I want to drive through and place waypoints (or shaping points) using the edit tools .

Or live with the calculation. But this mean I need to import the route when the GPS is running on an external power source because the calculation is interrupted when running on the internal battery.
Attachments
Chris Nonglard2 to Route de Chez Dupraz.gpx
(266.72 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

chris7444 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:13 am Or live with the calculation. But this mean I need to import the route when the GPS is running on an external power source because the calculation is interrupted when running on the internal battery.
There is something I dont understand. You transfer your routes when connected via USB to your PC. Your PC should provide enough power to keep it running. (Not for charging that I do understand)
Just disconnect the USB cord, reconnect after a few seconds, and then dont let it go into the mode to connect to the PC. I think you have to press 'Cancel'

I had a look at the file. For Example: 'Chanaz' has Sublass <gpxx:Subclass>1461 2C EA 53 00 1280EE061200000000000000</gpxx:Subclass>
That would mean map segment: 5499436. It is certainly different, but I dont recognise it as City Navigator. But that doesn't mean it's wrong perse.