Zumo XT on sale..

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT on sale..

Post by Fxwheels »

carolinarider09 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:20 am Since the XT is o sale, I am thinking about a purchase.

My question is simple. If I were to purchase a Garmin XT would I be able to use routes I have planned using another software program that produces "GPX" files on the XT without hassle?

I have several trips planned and I have the routes in the GPX format, ready to ride. I'd not like to have to "redo" them.
I used Furkot before and had no problems with navigating it. I use Basecamp now as it's more powerful software but needs some learning curve.
But you can use any .gpx file in the XT
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Fxwheels wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:21 pm I used Furkot before and had no problems with navigating it. I use Basecamp now as it's more powerful software but needs some learning curve.
But you can use any .gpx file in the XT
I agree that Furkot is satisfactory and Basecamp better, once you get over its learning hump. But I disagree that "any gpx file" will work in the XT. There are lots of bits of XML code that the XT will ignore or at times even choke on when the gpx file comes from a non-Garmin source. That's not to say they can't be used, but it is advisable to pull them up in Basecamp first and check for routing errors.

Code aside, if the gpx file was created from a map other than the exact version in your XT, it opens up the possibility of routing errors ranging from very small to huge. Again, a check and recalc in BC is in order.

It's no fun to be a thousand miles from home and have a route act crazy, take you in circles, or even crash the XT. Pre-flight checks can prevent this.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

danham wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:43 pm Code aside, if the gpx file was created from a map other than the exact version in your XT, it opens up the possibility of routing errors ranging from very small to huge. Again, a check and recalc in BC is in order.
Well, from my experience making routes in Furkot or Tire, I had no problems per se. If you put via/shaping points to force the route going where you need it, it will be fine. But even if loading from Basecamp, the XT can recalculate between the via points if they're not close to each other, and of course depending on routing preferences.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Fxwheels wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:26 am
danham wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:43 pm Code aside, if the gpx file was created from a map other than the exact version in your XT, it opens up the possibility of routing errors ranging from very small to huge. Again, a check and recalc in BC is in order.
Well, from my experience making routes in Furkot or Tire, I had no problems per se. If you put via/shaping points to force the route going where you need it, it will be fine. But even if loading from Basecamp, the XT can recalculate between the via points if they're not close to each other, and of course depending on routing preferences.
True, but there is lots of good advice in this forum about how to minimize these issues and create reliable routes. Bottom line is that it’s hard work having fun. 😈

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
carolinarider09
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times
United States of America

Post by carolinarider09 »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I am still deciding...