XT coming next week

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Re: XT coming next week

Post by Rofor »

twowheelstom wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:00 pmI am assuming that doing either bike cradle charging -or- AC wall charging are both valid options?. Thanks for comments.
The very important thing with AC charging is - did the Zumo XT start by himself, when connected to the wall charger!

Yes - let it start up completely, then shortly(!) press the power button. The screen should go black and you'll see a message for a short time that the Zumo XT is charging, than the Zumo XT goes completely black. Let it charge for a few hours...

No - than you must do the trick with a battery and the bike mount...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
twowheelstom
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 20 times
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

help me to understand the difference.
my AC charger adapter outputs DC 5 volts at 2.1 amps
the bike battery outputs DC 5 volts at lower amps

to my understanding, the DC 5 volt output is the same, only the amps are different.
so why would the XT battery charge up at the lower 0.5 amps but not charge at 2.1 amps?
that part I don't understand, because the only difference is the level of amps charging the XT

to my knowledge any battery will charge at any amount of lower amps, just takes longer time
2005 Kawasaki 800 cruiser Zumo XT 8-)
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

corrections, the converter block on the XT cord is

Input: 10-30v, 1.5A max
Output: 4.8-5.5v, 1.5A

the only difference between using AC charger and bike battery XT converter block is 1.5A vs 2.1A
0.6A

right?
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I found this on Garmin Support page, can someone interpret for me what this means?
I don't understand what parasitic current draw means

zūmo® XT GPS navigator:

When the zūmo XT is NOT connected to the motorcycle charging mount, the parasitic current draw of the Motorcycle Power Cable is 150uA @ 12V.
When the zūmo XT IS connected to the motorcycle charging mount, the current draw is Input: 10-30V, 1.5A (max) Output: 4.8-5.5V, 1.5A.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I found a converter table on google
150uA = 0.00015 amps
Rofor
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 62 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:59 pm help me to understand the difference.
my AC charger adapter outputs DC 5 volts at 2.1 amps
the bike battery outputs DC 5 volts at lower amps

to my understanding, the DC 5 volt output is the same, only the amps are different.
so why would the XT battery charge up at the lower 0.5 amps but not charge at 2.1 amps?
that part I don't understand, because the only difference is the level of amps charging the XT

to my knowledge any battery will charge at any amount of lower amps, just takes longer time
Sorry, i can't - but for sure there is a difference between these two charging possibilities, so many user reports tell it! Many of them were not able to get the Zumo XT to life when using a wall charger and a usb-cable. Most of the time the only solution was to use the bike mount! Something inside the Zumo XT must be handled differently using the mount or using a cable...

But hopefully the battery of your Zumo XT is not flat when you get it and than there are no such problems!

Regarding the 'parasite draw' of the mount - i think what is meant is, that even when no Zumo XT is connected in the motorbike mount, the 12V-to5V-converter will draw a very little amount of power! So it is, IMHO, a smart move to connect the bike mount to a switched line of your motorcycle!
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

twowheelstom wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:27 pm I found this on Garmin Support page, can someone interpret for me what this means?
I don't understand what parasitic current draw means

zūmo® XT GPS navigator:

When the zūmo XT is NOT connected to the motorcycle charging mount, the parasitic current draw of the Motorcycle Power Cable is 150uA @ 12V.
When the zūmo XT IS connected to the motorcycle charging mount, the current draw is Input: 10-30V, 1.5A (max) Output: 4.8-5.5V, 1.5A.
As you discovered, this is such a tiny amount of draw that unless your battery is on the verge of failure for other reasons, you can ignore the parasitic draw. But most modern bikes have their own current draws that can run your battery down in a fairly short time when parked -- a few weeks, in some cases. Clocks, computers, and dash memory chips all draw on the battery with the key off. So it's smart to keep the bike on a battery tender/maintainer (NOT a "trickle charger"). Once you get in that habit the parasitic draw of the XT mount becomes a complete non-issue. So I leave mine connected direct to the battery to avoid the unit powering off when I stop for gas or other short breaks.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

danham wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:06 pm Once you get in that habit the parasitic draw of the XT mount becomes a complete non-issue. So I leave mine connected direct to the battery to avoid the unit powering off when I stop for gas or other short breaks.
-dan
That's what I was thinking of doing with my XT mount when I get it, (not arrived yet due to winter snow storm delay in delivery). I was thinking of connecting the mount wires directly to bike battery like you did.

And now I see what that parasitic 150uA amp draw number means = when the XT is NOT connected into the mount, the amp draw on the bike battery is that 150uA figure, (0.00015 amps). So that mount is going to draw 0.00015 amps all the time when the bike is off. Now I can see why using a battery tender to regularly top up the bike battery because of that parasitic amp draw of the mount. Now I see. That parasitic draw part was confusing me, so thanks for your post, it helped a lot.
twowheelstom
Canada

Post by twowheelstom »

I bet that the 150uA parasitic draw is from that black fuse/voltage converter block on the mount wire, that's probably what's continually drawing the 0.00015 amps, maybe
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I made some electrical measurements two years ago when I first received my XT. I thought that I had posted them here before, but I cannot find the post, so I'll do it now:

I connected the motorcycle mount to a nominal 12 V regulated power supply, with an ammeter inline.
With the power supply providing 13.6 V, the XT started, drawing 0.42 A, default brightness was at 20%.

I made a few other measurements:
The supplied mounting cord and converter produced 5.24 V at the pins with the 13.6 V input. Top pin is positive, bottom is negative.

Brightness level, Current draw (A)
20%, 0.42
50%, 0.43
70%, 0.45
80%, 0.48
90%, 0.52
100%, 0.58

Changing between day or night mode made no difference in current draw, only a changed brightness level mode caused a current change.

Using the motorcycle mount, the XT and converter draw 2.44 mA in sleep mode (after single press of the power switch).

Together, they draw 0.87 mA powered off (after power button held down and shut down confirmed on screen).

With the XT removed from the mount, the converter draws 0.15 mA. Not much, but not zero.

Looking at this again today, I am still befuddled that a 2A USB charger (2A x 5V= 10watts) would not provide enough power to boot the dead XT, but on the 13.6V power supply, the XT started just fine while drawing only 0.42A, or 5.7 watts of power.