New discovery: Prevent route points from being renamed when loaded on to the XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: New discovery: Prevent route points from being renamed when loaded on to the XT

Post by FrankB »

If I understand you correctly you first create a Waypoint that you later add to the route. Either as a Shaping, or Via point. That's the method John used to ensure route points did not rename. app.php/ZXT-P09
I am not surprised they did not rename.

Having said that. The renaming does not happen always.
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: New discovery: Prevent route points from being renamed when loaded on to the XT

Post by jfheath »

Just come back from a ride and discovered three important things.
1 I am still Ok at riding on very wet roads. That wasn't the plan - it was sunny when I set off.
2 My 8 year old Rukka textiles and jacket have started to leak.
3 My visor leaks water down the inside if I open it a fraction to stop it misting. Pinlock doesn't work for me.

If the route point is first created as a Waypoint, using the waypoint flag tool in Basecamp, the name of the point will never alter.

How the ad-hoc route point is created makes no difference - drag and drop, route tool, insert, I have tried everything.

Whether a point is set as Via or Shaping also makes no difference.

Not all points have their name changed. Some do, some don't . I guestimate around half - 40-60% but I cannot back that up.
The last test I did, 10 out of 21 were altered, and curiously, they were consecutive points. That hasn't been typical, but I have noted that oddity.

You may not always notice the name change. The name that the Zumo creates, might be almost the same as the one that Basecamp produced. In which case, there is no problem.

Except, depending on the nature of my trip, I will use numbers to identify a sequence, a day, a mileage.

Eg a multiday trip all routes and route points will start with a day number. In unknown places - eg- in Europe, I might use a figure to represent distance km from the start of the day. eg 03 123 Perves - gives me an idea that Perves is about 123 km into day 3. I wouldn't have a clue otherwise. That technique is particularly useful for Via Points which are shown when starting a route as next destinations.

Also, if you have to Skip (or Edit Route) The Xt gives the name of the next route point or shaping point. Some unknown, unpronounceable place name is meaningless. If it says 05 047 Sort and your trip meter is saying you've done 100 km, It tells you immediately that for whatever reason, the Zumo is still trying to get you to a point that you should have passed 53km ago.

That is the main reason that it became an issue for me.

One way to tell whether the name has been changed my be the second line - It seems that points that have had their name retained will display the lat / long coordinates underneath the name. Those that have changed have additional information about the renamed point - eg any of an address, postcode, county code.

But that comment is based on a number of casual observations, rather than proper research. It is what I think, rather than what I know for certain. A theory yet to be proved.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

To be clear, is it only ad-hoc route points that are affected by the name change issue? If so, that could explain why I have only rarely seen it. I went through a period where I used Insert and Alt+drag to create route points but I have gone back to my first learned method of using the New Waypoint tool as per below.

@FrankB, I create my routes by using the New Waypoint tool to drop flags along the roads I want to ride, adding a sequential number prefix to their name as I create them. I then select all, right-click, create route using selected waypoints. I'll then add more as needed to fix where the resulting route was not as expected. I will then check for placement precision before setting most of them to not alert.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FWIW, I just created another test route containing three ad-hoc route points placed using the Alt+drag method. Two were alerting, one not. A sequential number was added to each as a prefix (eg: 01_. 02_, 03_). Their names were not changed on import.

Please know that I am not questioning what you guys report. I am trying to understand why I have not observed the problem.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

That explains it to me.
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Peobody wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:56 pm I create my routes by using the New Waypoint tool to drop flags along the roads I want to ride, adding a sequential number prefix to their name as I create them. I then select all, right-click, create route using selected waypoints.
That is why they do not get renamed, and up until now, that is exactly what I have been doing - and indeed - what I have been recommending - it was the only way that I could guarantee that route point will not change their name. But now, we don't have to do that ....

See app.php/ZXT-P07 last but one paragraph - I had forgotten that they had told me that it was a glitch and that they are working on it - Sept 2021. Hmmm. Seems to be the way of things at Garmin.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC