How to display custom POIs on the map

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Re: How to display custom POIs on the map

Post by jfheath »

This morning I posted 2 sequences of info about how to create CustomPOIs and How to use POIs in making a 'TourGuide'.

I remember playing around with these when I got my first Zumo a 550 in 2010 I think. The instructions from Garmin - which are not very clear - have remained the same since. I'd be surprised if they have changed them.

viewtopic.php?t=2826
and
viewtopic.php?t=2827
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Amelion
Italy

Post by Amelion »

jfheath wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:33 pm This morning I posted 2 sequences of info about how to create CustomPOIs and How to use POIs in making a 'TourGuide'.

I remember playing around with these when I got my first Zumo a 550 in 2010 I think. The instructions from Garmin - which are not very clear - have remained the same since. I'd be surprised if they have changed them.

viewtopic.php?t=2826
and
viewtopic.php?t=2827
My fault, you are right. With the GPS position simulated all the POIs appear. What have confused me is that the official garmin POI are visible even when you open the map to add a destination. Custom POI appear only during the navigation.

Anyway thanks for the info :D
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Amelion wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:17 am
My fault, you are right. With the GPS position simulated all the POIs appear. What have confused me is that the official garmin POI are visible even when you open the map to add a destination. Custom POI appear only during the navigation.

Anyway thanks for the info :D
I am still not sure about the last sentence. Generally when using the map in hand, POIs do not appear - immediately, but their visibility seems to depend on map scale, proximity and a time delay - like other map components, they seem to be drawn in layers. But I have noted certain map views when they do not appear.

Yesterday I was out for a ride and had forgotten all about my testing of POIs and had left them on the XT. i happened to be in the road that I had used and it cam as quite a surprise to hear my own voice in my ears saying 'Point One'. The photo popped up on the screen, and the map showed all the icons as they came within range. I wasn't navigating a route at the time - I just had a track drawn, and these were tour guide POIs. I had noted previously in simulation that the alert repeated while I was in the proximity circle. That didn't happen when actually riding. I'll go out and test POIs in case the non alerting of points not on the route is something that happens only in simulation.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC