Being forced to go back to a waypoint

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by Triplog »

Hi, I've just taken delivery of an XT2. The first major problem I've been hit with is that if I set a waypoint just off a road, or slightly on the wrong side of a junction (where I'm not actually passing through it) the GPS wants me to go back and visit that waypoint. It won't let me ignore it. I don't want to use the Skip function as this causes the remainder of the route to be recalculated. (I have Auto Recalc switched off). Routes are all created in Basecamp and I have removed the Tread app on advice from another user on here who found it could mess with the routes. Can anyone offer a solution please?
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times
Canada

Re: Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by technoguppy »

The "recalculate" option should take you to the closest entry point back to your route. It shouldn't redo your entire route, just until you can get back to it. If you don't have the "Automatic" or "Prompted", it wants you to complete your trip via the Waypoint.

I have mine set to "Prompted" and it's how it works for me. Not sure this helps but it's how it works.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Thanks for the quick reply technoguppy. I used the skip function this evening on a short test run. It completely changed my route from a 15 minute one to over 25 minutes! Do you mean that the Recalculate option works differently from the Skip? (I have a Montana and it simply carries on if i miss a Waypoint) I'll test further!
technoguppy
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 28 times
Canada

Post by technoguppy »

I'd like to say it might be different but I can't confirm that without a test.

Others may have better insight into the differences between "Skip" vs "Recalculate". If I were to guess there is likely distinction between the two.
Technoguppy

Oakville, ON, Canada
Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Garmin zumo XT2
Sena SRL-EXT
Samsung S24
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

I've a 2 day trip planned for Monday. I'll maybe stick to the Montana until I get to play with the XT a bit more!
Thanks in the meantime
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Triplog wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:15 pm Hi, I've just taken delivery of an XT2. The first major problem I've been hit with is that if I set a waypoint just off a road, or slightly on the wrong side of a junction (where I'm not actually passing through it) the GPS wants me to go back and visit that waypoint. It won't let me ignore it. I don't want to use the Skip function as this causes the remainder of the route to be recalculated. (I have Auto Recalc switched off). Routes are all created in Basecamp and I have removed the Tread app on advice from another user on here who found it could mess with the routes. Can anyone offer a solution please?
If this isn't somewhere you want to visit don't set the point as a waypoint or viapoint, set it as a shaping point instead. You can bypass a shaping point without any issues.
Triplog
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Sussamb thank you for this. I should have remembered from way back but this piece of info has got pushed out of my shrinking brain at some stage!
The first Waypoint was actually the start of the route about 30 yards to the south of my drive when I was going north, hence I missed it, and being the start of the route it has to be a waypoint.
Secondly on the Skip function - if it's used it seems to matter where the next via or way point is after that as it will re-route between the skipped point and the next one. - I think 🤔
The secret seems to be to plan carefully in Basecamp (which I find very powerful and flexible and I love. I can't understand why it gets the abuse it does) so as to avoid having to use the Skip function at all.
Thank you all again. Every day's a schoolday!
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Triplog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:13 am Secondly on the Skip function - if it's used it seems to matter where the next via or way point is after that as it will re-route between the skipped point and the next one. - I think
On the XT, the Skip function will result in the recalculation of the remainder of the route. That recalc results in the XT calculating what it thinks is the best route between route points, often changing the route from what Basecamp produced.
Triplog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:13 am The secret seems to be to plan carefully in Basecamp (which I find very powerful and flexible and I love. I can't understand why it gets the abuse it does) so as to avoid having to use the Skip function at all.
Sometimes you can't avoid using Skip, like when you see an appealing sign that compels you off-route resulting in going around a waypoint. So, not only do you want to be precise in Basecamp to insure that every waypoint will be traversed through, but you also what to try to make certain that there are enough of them strategically placed such that should a recalc occur, the device is still going calculate using the roads you want. Also know that on the XT, a detected road closure will trigger a recalc.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Basecamp makes it quick and easy to verify that your route points are properly placed on the road.

Open the route to see the list of route points.
Check the "Center map" box on the lower left.
Select the first point, the map will automatically pan and zoom to center and highlight the point.
Verify the position of the point, correct as needed.
Repeat for every point.
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

Peobody, thanks for that advice. Following Sussamb's advice I'm reviewing where I've used Waypoints so they won't trip me up! There seems to be a difference of opinion on here as to whether the Skip function forces a complete recalc, or only recalls to the next Waypoint (or Viapoint?). I've completely uninstall Tread a others have said it will mess up the routes without informing you! I don't need weather and traffic info.
Ikraus thanks for the tip. I have checked all my points by highlighting them on the detailed view of the Route and using "Show on map". Your way seems a lot cleaner!!!