"Faster Time" over 100 mph/

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Rockster2004
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

"Faster Time" over 100 mph/

Post by Rockster2004 »

I bought a new SD card to hold just the files for an upcoming trip, and imported all the routes to check the distances against Basecamp, as recommended by a certain Basecamp guru at NER. Most of the rides were within a mile or so, but an alternative route I developed for one leg comes up as 88.9 mile in Basecamp, which seems accurate, but shows as 200 miles on the XT. I deleted and re-imported with the same results. My preferences are set the same on the Zumo and Basecamp. Playing with changing Routing Preference, resaving, etc. to force recalc doesn't alter the result. The real kicker is that although Basecamp predicts 2 hours and 54 minutes to ride the route, Zumo says I can zoom through 200 miles in 2 hours, 12 minutes! I can see which leg has the additional miles calculated and I checked Google Maps to ensure there aren't currently any closures on the route. Any ideas why the extra miles are showing, yet the time calculation seems reasonable?
Oop North John
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: "Faster Time" over 100 mph/

Post by Oop North John »

It sounds like you're running up against the "fastest" routing option on the XT where it lazily uses the fastest roads instead of a route which takes less time..

More knowledgeable people will probably ask to see a copy of the problematic route to see if they have the same problem as yourself.
Rockster2004
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Re: "Faster Time" over 100 mph/

Post by Rockster2004 »

When I zoomed in, I could see that I had dropped a point on a road that was geographically close to the intended one, but a long ways by road. It appeared to be including getting to and from that point in the miles, but not in the time. "Faster time" should not mean above the speed limit.