Loading maps to 595 (& XT)

For everything Garmin Zumo 590/595 related
charlesjsprice
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Loading maps to 595 (& XT)

Post by charlesjsprice »

Thought I had loaded 2025.1 to my 595 but maps on device corrupted. Been trying all the fixes on the garmin site. Basically at 64.8% complete the laptop stops recognising the 595 and I get this error message, not unexpectedly because it cannot see the device:

Location is not available

E:\Help is not accessible

A device which does not exist was specified

Laptop is a HP Spectre

Perhaps it is the laptop somehow....

Any thoughts welcome...
jfheath
Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 695 times
Great Britain

Re: Loading maps to 595 (& XT)

Post by jfheath »

Sorry you have had to wait so long for a reply.

I don't have an answer but I can guess.

The 595 has battery charging issues - I think mainly due to the battery connector it doesn't ever get fully charged.
I noted a few weeks ago, that when the USB cable is plugged in, it doesn't provide enough power to stop the battery from draining - much more slowly, but it will eventually go flat.

The laptop probably doesn't provide enough power to keep it alive very long.
I use a multiport hub and that comes with a plug in power supply, so when I connect the Zumo I usually plug it into that. Some processes don't like this, but installing maps has never complained, and although my 590 manages to keep its charge for a massive 30 seconds before it shuts down, it has never had problems installing the maps when plugged into the powered usb port. Ive never tried doing this with the Zumo plugged into a laptop.

I wonder if you can make a usb data connection with the satnav powered from the cradle ?

As I said, I don't know. The above info may be relevant, but I don't know if it is an answer.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC