ZUMO 660: POI symbol to show up on Main Screen

stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

ZUMO 660: POI symbol to show up on Main Screen

Post by stkm04 »

Hi there -

Several years ago I used the EXTRA POI EDITOR to create a GPI file and uploaded it to the ZUMO 660. The symbol for that file would show up on the ZUMO's main screen (as opposed to having it show up in the Extras/Custom POI menu), see attached screen shot.

I remember that there was a trick to make that happen: there was a special setting in the EXTRA POI EDITOR but I can't remember what the exact setting was.

Does anybody (still) know how to achieve that?

Thanks!!!
Attachments
ScreenShot.jpg
ScreenShot.jpg (238.54 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: ZUMO 660: POI symbol to show up on Main Screen

Post by jfheath »

I cannot remember much about the 660 screen operations, but on the later models, you can press and hold icons for a second or so, and they can then be dragged to a new location. I can't remember if the 660 screen had this drag and drop feature though.

The other thing to look for is how to create a shortcut, which allows icons to appear on the main screen. I've never used it, or seen how to create one, but I know that it exists
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 137 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I think your HD icon is for a list of dealers? A similar file for BMW dealers on Navigators and my 590 has a .gpi extension and is placed in H:\POI, where H: is the drive letter for my Zumo. Some references say the file should be in H:\Garmin\POI.

Something in the back corner of my mind says you can only have one such file and that Garmin's POILoader program is needed to create the .gpi file.

See: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=5 ... 7CzMmytjs6
POI Loader download: https://www8.garmin.com/support/collect ... 9-99999-12

It's been years since I abandoned POI for Google, so don't quote me on any of this.
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

That's a good spot Larry.

I've recently revisited POIs - not having touched them from my Zumo 550 days, and discovered how difficult it was to find all of the information in one place. If @lkraus' comment. is what is needed, then a few posts I created just last month may help to jog your memory.

viewtopic.php?t=2826
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
stkm04
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by stkm04 »

Thanks y'all! I'll check it out.