Sending routes to XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Frogman1
United States of America

Re: Sending routes to XT2

Post by Frogman1 »

Why doesn't my apple desktop not see my new XT2? It see my Nav6 for the BMW1600. I've tried 10 different USB cables and NO read of the hard drive. Garmin Express see the XT2. I did use the work around and dumped to my SD card and reinsert it into the XT2 and it worked. I did download the PDF file and will read.

Why does it not see the XT2?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

The XT2 operates slightly differently from other Zumos

1. Instead of immediately going into file transfer mode when you plug in the cable, The XT2 gives you a message on the screen asking you to tap if you want to connect to the computer. If you miss seeing that, there is a little blue circle on the gear icon (settings) bottom right of the XT2 home screen.
Tap that and the settings menu opens up and the top item is now 'Tap to Connect to the computer'.

Those of us that have had previous Zumos might well be in the habit of plugging in the cable (at the back), know that it is going to connect in a couple of minutes and then put the Zumo on its face to avoid resting the weight of the Zumo on the USB connector. I still do that. The consequence of that is that you cannot see the screen and forget that on the XT2 you have to select the option to connect. That still catches me out from time to time. (Actually it catches me out nearly every time.)

2. The XT2 (Like the XT) defaults to using Media Transfer Protocol - which means that it doesn't show up as a drive letter in your computer. It shows up as a device - like a phone. It is easy to forget this and look in the wrong place in your computer folder structure.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

How do you get around the "recalculate" the route and the changes it makes?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Frogman1 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 9:56 pm How do you get around the "recalculate" the route and the changes it makes?
The Zumo will only calculate a different route between route points. It may recalculate the whole route, but whatever it comes up with, it must pass through every via point and every shaping point.

So I use shaping points to ensure that it doesn't wander off to a nearby faster road. You don't have to use too many. If there is a narby faster route I find that on point a third of the way along a road and one two thirds of the way will prevent it from doing anything silly.

With just a little practice you get used to where the Zumo makes changes and you develop a knack of being able to spot the places wher an additional shaping point is required.

In Basecamp, once a route is finished, and I have zoomed in to every single route point to make sure that it is accurately placed, I create a track of the route. I display the track as well as the route - the track in black is underneath the magenta route. If the route has changed, the original black track becomes very visible. Ive edited a map theme to make the black track slightly wider, so that the edges show when the magenta route is in top. See below.

Turn off traffic. The info about road closures is often incorrect and it diverts without asking.

Basecamp routes and any other imported route from a gpx file will display weird behaviour if you deviate from your route. This behaviour includes trying to get you to go back along the road just travelled rather than calculating a route ahead to the next route point. It may also include removing a route point from a route if you don't follow an instruction to take a road leading to it.

These have been thoroughly tested on the XT and a solution has been found. The same behaviour is also present for the first (U turn) scenario. I have yet to test it for the situation where route points are deleted.

Whatever - the same fix developed for the XT cures the first problem and it is much easier to implement on the XT2.
Select a route and there is a copy facility. Make a copy of the route. Give it a new name eg oldname-copy. Use the copied route and it behaves perfectly.

Much behaviour is described and illustrated in the Zumo XT link in my signature.
New stuff that I discover about the XT2, I am putting in the following location

viewtopic.php?t=2858
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I saw this on a Facebook group, hopefully you can read the post and see the link below goes to it. For the XT2 I use a "normal" track width:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5898192 ... h/?q=track

https://www.wiltshire.net/2021/12/21/ga ... VsPwhK_QSw
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

I wish my Nav6 that I use on my BMW1600 had a power mount I could use now. I have very few issues with basecamp with it! So the XT and XT2 recalulate and you have to learn work-arounds to minimize the damage? It's getting to a point where you can not plan a route and then run it. Did you do a thread or video about setting up the XT2, walking through each section?

Does the XT2 have icons like phone and music that show on the map when your following a route like my Nav6?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

Frogman1 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2024 12:42 pm Does the XT2 have icons like phone and music that show on the map when your following a route like my Nav6?
The XT2 allows you to customise the right-hand quarter of the screen with various options, I use trip data, but there are the options for phone or music

For the XT: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=T ... D5oDeEjrdA

XT2: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=o ... R1CznvhVq6
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

Well I found out why the XT2 is not seen by apple Mac, it's build on an Android system. Call Garmin and finally got a tech and he told me that XT2 system is built on an android system. So I open up my MS10 Think Pad, connected XT@ and there was the harddrive and sd card. So I'm going to download basecamp and read jfheath's input on how to out smart :lol: :lol: the XT2.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I don't have a Mac, but you should be able to make Mac<->XT2 file transfers. First, be sure that Garmin Express is not running in the background, since a Mac only allows one Android connection at a time. I've read that Apple has discontinued Android File Transfer, or will soon. There are other apps that perform the same function, MacDroid appears to be a popular choice.

Another possible issue is the USB connection. Fast ports on recent computers don't always work well with the USB 2.0 connections that Garmin still uses. Some Mac users need to insert a USB hub between the computer and the Zumo to slow or sync the transfer. I've run into similar problems using my newest PC, where small transfers (like a .gpx file or a screenshot) work just fine, but large files require a hub (a map update or several GB of music).