How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by jfheath »

Sheer coincidence. Just setting up my stuff for a ride tomorrow. Checked if phone calls from home would flash up on the XT2 screen. They had before, but they didn't tonight.

So I tuned on 'Alerts' in Tread. That allowed the incoming call message to pop up.

It remains to be seen whether it also allows trip advisor messages.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: How can I supress Tripadvisor data being shown at destination arrival - it's a dangerous feature

Post by jfheath »

I just re-read the entire thread as I have an XT2 now, and am getting used to its behaviour and quirks.

Some comment on previous issues.
  • I followed a route yesterday TA (trip advisor) popped up on arrival at home. Alerts and Messages were the only options ticked on Tread on my Android phone
  • The above route was created in Basecamp and imported. I know that BC routes are modified by the XT2. Still not certain to what degree but (eg) Shaping points have been seen to be relocated.
  • My Ipad tread app does not have the Notification Settings. I can only assume that this is the same for an iphone
  • I have been unable to get TA to pop up on short simulated routes
  • Regarding TA not popping up when approached from the wrong direction. This does not surprise me.

Via Points seem to have a direction associated with them.

When I was investigating what later became RUT behaviour, i deliberately ignored the XT1's recalculated route. U turns were disabled. An hour in I reached the first via point. I approached it and passed through it unannounced. The Trip data at the side showed the distance to the next via point. 16 miles. Tapping edit route reveals the name of the next shaping and next via point. Nothing amiss there. This was the one that I had just passed through. I continued, to check that this mileage was reducing. It was. I checked the route ahead. It was taking me all the way to the next town, turned me around at the first housing estate it encountered and then headed back the way I would have travelled. (Narrow country lanes, no side roads, no u turns allowed. It had no options). So I didn't do that. I turned back and approached the same via point from the other direction. It recognised it this time.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC