BASECAMP AND XT2

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Frogman1
United States of America

Re: BASECAMP AND XT2

Post by Frogman1 »

Thank you! :P
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

I provided input about XT2 and apple in other threads, but I"ll put some here if you missed it. I called and talked to Garmin about Mac and found out that the XT and XT2 was built on an Android system and does not play with apple. SO I plugged the XT2 into my old MS10 Think Pad and both the hard drive and SD card came up. So no I know half the world can not use apple with Garmin GPS XT & XT2.

I opened Basecamp and tried to transfer a route file to the XT2. I unplugged the XT2 and opened it. It came up with a note that said a new route has been found. I tapped it to bring it in, in stayed in the search mode and would not close. Had to turn of gps to remove the search tag.

So, what am I doing wrong? You said you can still transfer files to the XT2?
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Using a PC, Windows, A charge and synch cable and a Zumo - I have never had any problems sending gpx files by USB to any of my Zumos - including the XT2. Either from Basecamp or by placing a gpx file directly to internal storage or SD card.

You may need to find a situation where it will work, eg a friend, a computer cafe, and then one by one change a single item and see when it fails.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Frogman1
United States of America

Post by Frogman1 »

The best way to download a route was to download to the SD card and then import from there. What ever I was doing on my MS 10 system did not want to download to the XT2. It wanted to go to Tread and redo the route. I will test the route to see if it wants to recalculate it when I start.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

When I connect my XT2 to Basecamp on my Windows laptop I see what I will call "ghost" routes / tracks and way points. I'm calling them "ghost" as they only seem to appear in Basecamp, and I can't find them in the XT2 using its explore function / routes / where to go options. The Tread app on my phone shows none of these.

They're not really harming anything, but they do clog up what Basecamp is showing in the Internal Storage area and so makes it harder for me to confirm if I've done what I wanted to AND the XT2 is happy with it. I've tried clearing the contents of the XT2 > Internal Storage > GPX file which has deleted about 95% of them, but some still remain,

So, any ideas on what to do to eliminate the rest? And, is there a better way to do things as I was sending the routes / tracks to the SD card, but then if you send multiple tracks / routes it becomes pot luck on what you get out of the XT2.

Thanks.
jfheath
Has liked: 350 times
Been liked: 747 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

They might be the track logs - records of rides you have taken ? They can be turned off in the map display section
They are usually called ActiveLog - with a numeric date and time. But Basecamp will always find them.

But To get rid of everything else.

1. delete all tracks, all routes and all waypoints from the XT menu
2. While you are at it, delete history, where i've been, recently found

If you have Tread synching to the XT2, then let it synch. Make sure that everything disappears from the Tread app, then make sure that nothing has been synch'd to the XT2.

Repeat until it is clear.

3. Connect XT2 to the computer / USB
4. on the sd card, remove any gpx files from the Garmin/gpx folder
5. In internal storage / Gpx folder delete any gpx files EXCEPT position.gpx, CurrentTrackLog.gpx and the Archive folder.

Reboot. Let it restart. Then check out Basecamp.

CurrentTrackLog and Archive contain all of the Active logs. You can delete them but it will record some more. It is possible to stop it doing this - in the device menu I think. But it stops building up your profile which gives it the data it needs to improve its routing, and to work out riding times and ETA.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:15 pm So, any ideas on what to do to eliminate the rest? And, is there a better way to do things as I was sending the routes / tracks to the SD card, but then if you send multiple tracks / routes it becomes pot luck on what you get out of the XT2.
I don't know how the Tread app fits into this for the XT2, but on the XT, the process to remove all routes from internal storage was to delete all routes in Trip Planner (Route Planner on the XT2) and then use a file explorer to delete all .GPX files from GPX directory in internal storage.

As for how to transfer, my process is to export each route, one at a time, to a location on my local harddrive, assigning each a meaningful filename, and saving them in a directory structure that will be easy to manage (eg: Local rides, Mountain rides, Colorado trip, Key West trip, etc). I will then copy them to the SD card, again creating a meaningful directory structure in the GPX directory on the card. The sole purpose of meaningful filenames and directory structures is to make it easy for me to delete routes I no longer need on the card, like ones associated with a completed multi-day ride. I don't explicitly export route waypoints because they are included in the exported routes.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

jfheath wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:20 pm They might be the track logs - records of rides you have taken ? They can be turned off in the map display section
They are usually called ActiveLog - with a numeric date and time. But Basecamp will always find them.

But To get rid of everything else.

1. delete all tracks, all routes and all waypoints from the XT menu
2. While you are at it, delete history, where i've been, recently found

If you have Tread synching to the XT2, then let it synch. Make sure that everything disappears from the Tread app, then make sure that nothing has been synch'd to the XT2.

Repeat until it is clear.

3. Connect XT2 to the computer / USB
4. on the sd card, remove any gpx files from the Garmin/gpx folder
5. In internal storage / Gpx folder delete any gpx files EXCEPT position.gpx, CurrentTrackLog.gpx and the Archive folder.

Reboot. Let it restart. Then check out Basecamp.

CurrentTrackLog and Archive contain all of the Active logs. You can delete them but it will record some more. It is possible to stop it doing this - in the device menu I think. But it stops building up your profile which gives it the data it needs to improve its routing, and to work out riding times and ETA.
It was routes and tracks I'd made to keep the XT2 going where I wanted to.

I'll try this out and keep the fingers crossed!