Transfer of Garmin Maps into Basecamp + Another Question

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
GCinCH
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Transfer of Garmin Maps into Basecamp + Another Question

Post by GCinCH »

Hi Everyone. New here. I was going along nicely with my 590 until it decided it wanted to die. I bought an XT with European maps as a replacement and then downloaded the N America maps into an SD Card I installed in the XT. I now want to install the N America map into Basecamp so that I can plot some routes for a tour to British Columbia next year. How do I import the N America map into Base camp Please. + I noticed when looking at the map in Basecamp via the XT the plot new route icon along with the waypoint and track Icons are disabled... what's up with that? Thanks and regards.
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Re: Transfer of Garmin Maps into Basecamp + Another Question

Post by sussamb »

Where did you get the NA map from? If downloaded from Garmin it cannot be installed to BaseCamp. What you can do is copy the map to a removable drive, eg memory stick, and BaseCamp will read the map from there. Needs to be in a folder named Garmin on the drive.

As for your second point I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do.
GCinCH
Great Britain

Post by GCinCH »

Yes. I bought the N American maps from Garmin as a download onto an SD Card I installed in my XT. I plot all my tours in Basecamp and you are telling me that I can't load the map into Basecamp. For me that renders the map Useless. There is no way on this earth I want to plot a tour on the XT itself.
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

GCinCH wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:35 am Yes. I bought the N American maps from Garmin as a download onto an SD Card I installed in my XT. I plot all my tours in Basecamp and you are telling me that I can't load the map into Basecamp. For me that renders the map Useless. There is no way on this earth I want to plot a tour on the XT itself.
See the above post so that you can "see" the maps when you use Basecamp. The XT won't have to be connected if you do this.

I followed the instructions in the link for some OSM maps so that I can see them in Basecamp, and it works: viewtopic.php?t=544
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

GCinCH wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 6:35 am Yes. I bought the N American maps from Garmin as a download onto an SD Card I installed in my XT. I plot all my tours in Basecamp and you are telling me that I can't load the map into Basecamp. For me that renders the map Useless. There is no way on this earth I want to plot a tour on the XT itself.
As explained you don't have to but you do need to copy the map file onto a removeable drive and let BaseCamp read the map from that.
GCinCH
Great Britain

Post by GCinCH »

Hi all I wanted to post an update on my battle. I have found a solution by removing the SD card from my XT and connecting it to my laptops card reader Basecamp can see it and allows me to plot routes (sometimes). On other occasions the key tools, New Route, Tracks and Waypoints are disabled.
Incidentaly, I made several calls to the Garmin help desk and only once got through to an operative who transferred me to the correct person but they never answered after 30 minutes of holding. I have been a Garmin customer for 20 years purchasing four units in that time. This will be the last.
sussamb
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

That will work too but simpler to copy those files to a separate card or memory stick so you don't have to keep removing the card from your zumo.