Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by Peobody »

I suspect that someone on this forum is familiar with TET routes and will chime in with help on where to download TET route .gpx files. We can then help you with getting them onto the XT. Basic computer file manipulation knowledge will be needed.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Basic computer file manipulation knowledge will be needed.
That's me buggered then! What kind of 'file manipulation'? I can't do anything with a pdf, I have tried. My computer knowledge is not enough to deal with them.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

A .gpx file is a computer file that contains route information. That information is what a satnav like the XT needs in order to display and provide instructions for following that route. When you download a .gpx file it gets stored somewhere on the downloading computer. You must then connect the XT to the computer and transfer that file to the XT.

In this forum you may read about other methods of transferring files to the XT. They are not suitable for you. They are more complex and require a phone app,
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

No file manipulation on a computer is necessary to use an XT effectively.
Last edited by jfheath on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pruning Merged threads
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

rbentnail wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 pm No file manipulation on a computer is necessary to use an XT effectively.
True, but a desire was expressed by @KingRat to be able to download .gpx files and use them on the XT.

I agree with @fredaroony that a device other than the XT may be more appropriate. I know nothing about the TomTom Rider 550 but believe the XT will be a challenge for@KingRat. I used paper maps until 16 months ago when I got my XT. It is a shame that they are so darn hard to find these days without using a computer and printer to download and print.

Speaking of maps, here in the U.S. we have an organization called AAA. Membership gets you free maps (State, National, and some municipalities). I review my stash of maps before any trip and order the State ones that I don't have or are more than 5 years old to insure I have relatively current paper maps that cover the entire route. I actually used one on my first trip with the XT when I needed to find the closest sizeable city that might have a store from which I could purchase a replacement helmet. That is easy to do on a paper map but a challenge to do on a satnav.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Moderator Comment

Post by jfheath »

I've merged @KingRat's two threads into this one. Posts are in order of the date/time that they were written. I've pruned the resulting posts to cut out unnecessary or duplicated information. Apologies if yours was one of these. I'm trying to make the posts easier to read and to follow.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Summary

@KingRat has ordered a Zumo XT
He is not very computer Savvy - but he is using a computer to post in these forums.
He wants to be able to download routes - although he has not found any yet
He has no smartphone or any device with Bluetooth Capability
Eventually he needs to be able to load his XT with routes from the TET - The Trans European Trail

Garmin have a series of Videos to help with various aspects of using the XT.

Here is a Video that is concerned with finding and storing locations.
Note that this is in 'USA Speak'.
'ROWT' is the way that american's pronounce 'Route'.
'SAVED' is the store for previously saved locations. On UK screens, this is shown as 'Favourites'.

And another about using the trip planner

The full collection of XT Videos from Garmin can be found here: https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?produ ... tab=videos

Many of them are to do with setting up the XT to work with other devices, so at this point you will not be interested.

Baby steps @KingRat . First get your Zumo XT in your hand. Then spend a bit of time looking at what you can do with it.
Then have a go at navigating to a destination and create a route with just a couple of points.

We can take it from there.

Using a GPX file is one way of getting a route into the XT's trip planner without having to program it on the screen. This can save a lot of time if someone else has already prepared it, once you have overcome the issues related to using a computer. But that is the next stage.

Whereabouts in the UK are you ?
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thank you very much, both posting people and moderator for tidying up my flailing around.

First hurdle is, next day delivery, 2 days down the line and my XT hasn't materialised yet, nor any card or phone call to say they couldn't deliver. Chasing up is the next step. So for now I will watch the Garmin videos, just to get myself sort of readied for when it does eventually arrive.

For JFHeath... I am in Uttoxeter, because it is as central as I could get. 8-)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

You are welcome. Let us know on this thread - its easy to find now.

I ordered an XT 2 and a half years ago when there were none of the first batch left in the country. The second back arrival date kept getting put back by Garmin. The place I bought them from were due to get the first delivery whenever they came. Eventually they did, the firm informed me it was posted the same day, and gave me the tracking number. I should get it the following day. Well Thursday came and went, so I got onto the tracking company who tracked it from Birmingham, to Leeds (20 miles away). The next thing I knew it was in Edinburgh at the start of the long Easter Weekend. It arrived the following Wednesday having been all over the place.

The omens were not good. It must be the only case of a satnav getting lost before it has been taken out of its box !!

(ps - I asked where you are so that if I need to put together an example route, I can choose roads and places that are familiar to you, rather than having to think AppleTreeWick ? Where the hell is that ?

KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

It is probably obvious to all but the blind man (me!)

I have just watched the trip planning video for using the Zumo XT... if I can put places into a list and swap them about to create the order of visiting them.... why do people go on about using their computer and having all the faff of downloading them etc? Why not just do it on the Zumo direct?

There must be a good reason, but it isn't obvious to me, but then I am new to all this capability - I still pour over a map and make notes!