Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
DavefromDenver
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Can XT Bluetooth to Rider and Pillion Packtalk Bold Units?

Post by DavefromDenver »

Thank you and keep us posted!

David
DavefromDenver
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Post by DavefromDenver »

So does this mean with your method rider #2 has no phone use, or shares your phone calls, or???

David
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 317 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

DavefromDenver wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:48 pm So does this mean with your method rider #2 has no phone use, or shares your phone calls, or???
I have no idea. My conjecture is that rider #2 should be able to pair a phone on the Packtalk's channel 1. If so, I don't know whether voice navigation from the gps will interfere with a phone call. Maybe that Packtalk should be configured with phone as priority. It is not a concern for me since my rider #2 will never pair a phone.

On a recent ride I heard one side of a phone conversation of a fellow biker with whom I had a mesh connection and he heard my side of one that I took. I don't have clue how to overcome that.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 316 times
Been liked: 675 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Useful info in here. That broadcast of a phone call is not very good. Have you made any progress with that at all?

I'm still in the process of looking for something to replace my autocom. It is fine at the moment and does exactly what I want - except the parts are no longer available, and mics go bad after a while. I have one spare mic left. I found someone that has started making them, but I am less than impressed with their performance.

It'll be time to change soon. I've saved up 'pocket money' to get one, but I don't want to waste it on something that is not up to spec.

I wonder if Cardo have a help desk / forum. I shall have a look.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

@Peobody I found something in the Packtalk Edge Manual which may do the trick, so I checked in the Packtalk Bold manual.

4.1.2.3 MUTING/UNMUTING DC INTERCOM GROUPS
Muting the DMC intercom mutes your microphone and speaker. Unmuting the DMC intercom restores sound to your microphone and speaker.
To mute/unmute the DMC group:
1. Confirm your PACKTALK BOLD is in DMC intercom mode (LED flashes green slowly).
If your PACKTALK BOLD is not in #DMC intercom mode, press @ and D.
2. On your unit, press the control wheel for 2 seconds.

4.1.24 MUTING/UNMUTING THE MICROPHONE
This feature is available with software update 5.10.
The edge manual emphasis the fact that when you perform the top operation, it mutes the mic and speaker for the DMC intercom groups, phone calls and music continue as normal. The Bold instructions do not say this, but the heading suggests this just mutes the group chat.

Worth a try ?

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:13 am The edge manual emphasis the fact that when you perform the top operation, it mutes the mic and speaker for the DMC intercom groups, phone calls and music continue as normal. The Bold instructions do not say this, but the heading suggests this just mutes the group chat.

Worth a try?
The problems for me are:
1. Can not figure out a way to prevent satnav voice navigation from muting DMC intercom.
2. Shared music volume is barely audible (music is on satnav).

I thought I had resolved #1 until a ride last week. The good was that the voice nav did not fully mute the DMC comm but the bad was that voice nav was too predominant. Also, my wife never got adequate voice nav volume although I suspect this could have been with her not understanding that volume control is specific to the sound source. That ride was a lousy test ride because it had only a few nav instructions. We'll be taking a ride sometime this week so I'll be working on it more then, hopefully on a route containing more navigation.
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry, I had picked up another part of your previous post - I should have quoted it:
Peobody wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:32 pm On a recent ride I heard one side of a phone conversation of a fellow biker with whom I had a mesh connection and he heard my side of one that I took. I don't have clue how to overcome that.
I read the edge manual first and it seemed to offer a solution. It says to hold the control wheel for two seconds (to mute/unmute the DMC group).
So if you had a phone call come in, and you wanted to keep it private from everyone else, just hold in the control wheel. It says that the mic and headset still works for the phone and media.

The manual for the Packtalk bold does not include that last sentence - but that may be an omission that was rectified for the edge. It may behave in exactly the same way.

I have no idea about the relative volume levels. I could see how that might be an issue that I hadn't thought about. On my present autocom, when a phone call comes in, everything from all other inputs gets muted by the autocom.

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Oh crap. I forgot that I posted about phone calls being heard by DMC mesh group members. The Packtalk Bold manual references the 2 second wheel push as a way to mute the DMC group. I also found information that says muting of the DMC group is automatic for phone calls when "Parallel Audio Streaming" is disabled. I can not find anything about "Parallel Audio Streaming" in the Cardo Connect app.

While in the Cardo Connect app I found separate volume level settings for Phone Calls, Music, FM Radio, Intercom, Background music (percentage from intercom volume), & Play announcements. I don't know the relationship between these settings and adjusting the volume with the wheel. I have set them all to their highest setting (except Background music which I set at 60%) on both Packtalks. We'll see what happens. There is not an option for setting the default volume level for a bluetooth connected device like a GPS.
Stu
Site Admin
Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 215 times
Great Britain

Post by Stu »

I have recently changed the way I pair my phone, gps and Cardo

Normally it was phone to cardo and gps to cardo. This resulted in very clear phone calls and phone calls would mute others and others couldn't hear me too

I now have my phone to the gps then gps to the cardo. This allows others in the group hear me when I am on the phone but not hear the conversation from the phone

I am going to be pairing back to the first option I think
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Stu wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:54 pm I have recently changed the way I pair my phone, gps and Cardo

Normally it was phone to cardo and gps to cardo. This resulted in very clear phone calls and phone calls would mute others and others couldn't hear me too

I now have my phone to the gps then gps to the cardo. This allows others in the group hear me when I am on the phone but not hear the conversation from the phone

I am going to be pairing back to the first option I think
It's a catch 22. I like having the phone connected to the gps, both for traffic alerts and for the visible notice of texts and calls. Based on what I have seen, the Cardo is supposed to mute phone calls so group members don't hear them. Enabling the "Parallel Audio Streaming" feature breaks that. Do you know anything about that feature and where to enable/disable it?