Problem Installing Maps to PC

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: Problem Installing Maps to PC

Post by jfheath »

Is it the cable / USB connector not making adequate contact. Sometimes the position that it is held in makes a difference. On the sort of connector that the XT has - a USB B Mini - the contacts are on a plastic strip at the wider side of the shape. To make this fit a little better, I have occasionally tweaked the smaller side so that it has a tiny outward bow. This has the effect of pressing the contacts tighter to whatever it is plugged into. However - it also means that there is more resistance plugging it in and unplugging it - and the socket in some electrical components is often not very securely attached to the circuit board.

If that is your issue, then I suggest you contact Garmin and get the unit replaced. They have a two year guarantee.

The socket is in a bad place, because you cannnot see the screen, unless you put the XT on its back - resting on its cable. I have a small box that I rest mine on, so that the cable isn't taking any of the weight - or you could use the car adapter suction mounted to your desk.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC