Summary of tools to fix the trips on the XT

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: Summary of tools to fix the trips on the XT

Post by tombarrington »

There is a pretty good post about it here. Post 10.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/thread ... ol.183937/
Thank you, that was a very concise summary. I have a trip coming up next month so I'll give the on-the-device route fix a try.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Quick update in case this is news to anyone fixing routes on the XT itself. Yes, the route name is lost, but it is very simple to rename it whatever you want.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Fixing the route on the device is very easy when the starting point is near your location but not so much when it isn't. The options for multi-day trips with one route per day are to either fix the route on the device the night before or morning of each ride, or fix them all before leaving home with one of the other tools.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Fixing the route on the device is very easy when the starting point is near your location but not so much when it isn't. The options for multi-day trips with one route per day are to either fix the route on the device the night before or morning of each ride, or fix them all before leaving home with one of the other tools.
I have a multi-day trip in September for which I'm about half done creating routes. Using the on-device method and GPS simulator can I fix the routes in one sitting or will the starting point be incorrect? I was hoping to have them all ready once the trip begins.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

tombarrington wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:20 pm I have a multi-day trip in September for which I'm about half done creating routes. Using the on-device method and GPS simulator can I fix the routes in one sitting or will the starting point be incorrect? I was hoping to have them all ready once the trip begins.
My short answer would be no.
You can do them in 'one sitting', but every trip/route has to be done separately. If you have multiple routes (more than 3, 5?) I recommend the Java method. That enables you to do them all at once.

Another option would be to do nothing now. When you're driving and have to deviate, stop and do the 'on device' method, for that route.

It all depends on how many deviations you expect, and how much work you're prepared to do before hand.
danham
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I just tried it with a route that begins in a small town in West Virginia. I am sitting at my desk on Cape Cod. The route it creates when I specify the first point begins here, not in WV. No go.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

If doing it in one sitting you will need to set your location close to the starting point before doing the "on the device" fix because that process calculates a route from the location where the device thinks you are to the entry point selected for the route to be fixed.

I am comfortable with file manipulation so when I did my last trip I transferred all of the routes to the XT, imported them, and then "fixed" the resulting .trip files using the online JaVaWa online tool. That seemed easier to me than having to change my location on the device before fixing each route. It would not have been a substantial inconvenience to have made it a nightly ritual to "fix" the next days route. It all depends what fits you best.

Advice: put a copy of the original routes on the SD card. On my last trip I discovered how unforgiving the XT is when, while reviewing route points, touching one will change its point type (shaping to via or vice versa) without a prompt :shock:. This causes a recalc that changes the route in internal storage :x.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

danham wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:37 pm I just tried it with a route that begins in a small town in West Virginia. I am sitting at my desk on Cape Cod. The route it creates when I specify the first point begins here, not in WV. No go.

-dan
You can make it work by using the GPS Simulator and changing the location. Or when you start the route dont start from 'coordinates', but from the first actual point.
Having said that, I still think that the 'on device' method is best suited for ad-hoc usage, on the road, or when you dont have access to a PC.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Peobody wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:46 pm and then "fixed" the resulting .trip files using the online JaVaWa online tool.
That is a great tool, and till today I'm Jaco thankful for creating and hosting that tool. But you can only do 1 file at a time. It still works faster compared to the 'on device' method though.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

Sounds like either the on-device method or the JaVaWa tool are the best approaches for me. I wish Garmin would either fix the problem or explain why it’s a “feature.”
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F