Loss of 595 active phone call panel

Got any questions about Audio, Headsets and Earplugs then please use this section.
OldRS
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Re: Loss of 595 active phone call panel

Post by OldRS »

Thank you.
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 736 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - I've been trying a few things. Ive got my Edge, 595 and Android Phone paired together and working as expected. No problem.
Well - not much - I'll post some pics first though.

The screens that you posted came up on my 595 without too much issue.

This one is what I got when I selected Home Screen -> Apps -> Phone

595 Phone - 09.png
595 Phone - 09.png (29.28 KiB) Viewed 182 times

But it will only get to this page if the phone is connected AND the headset is connected.

======================================

This is the screen that I get if you select from the Map View page -> 3-bar menu -> phone . But it slides back out of view after about 10 seconds.

595 Phone - PopUp.png
595 Phone - PopUp.png (48.16 KiB) Viewed 182 times

This is the screen that I get for an incoming call - when the map screen is shown on the 595.

595 Phone - 14.png
595 Phone - 14.png (48.15 KiB) Viewed 182 times

This side screen only shows up if the map is displayed - otherwise a message pops up in a big white box.

Once everything is paired and working, it automatically reconnects. Very reliably. But it takes about 30 seconds to a minute for the phone and the haeadset to pair and for the Zumo to realise that everything is as it should be.

Unfortunately , the Zumo battery doesn't tend to last that long before it starts shutting things down - so it is prudent to have the Zumo 595 plugged into a charging socekt while you are testing it out.

To get all of that working then the 595 has to be first paired with the Headset. (It doesn't have to be done first, but it makes sense so that you can test that sound is being played from the Zumo. You cannot test anything on the phone until you have the sound set up.

I set my Zumo to be the second phone on the Edge. This is so that if I want to use the App to manage the Edge form my phone , I can connect that as the first connection and not accidentally over-ride my phones connection to the Zumo.

Pairing the Caro Edge to the Zumo on the second channel.

1. Turn on Cardo - 5 second press the left button.

2. Turn on Zumo. Tap the BT icon or select Settings -> BT

3. If you already have a pairing to the Edge but sound isn't comeing through , then clicke ont he Edge device on the Zumo and select Unpair.

4. On the Edge, press the bottom button for 5 sceconds (3 beeps / Phone pairing)

5. Tap the bottom button twice, roll the wheel forward. (2nd phone pairing)

6. On the Zumo tap Search for Devices, and when the screen changes and the Edge device is shown, select it. (2nd Phone Connected)

----

7. Check that sound is coming from the Zumo to the headset. Play music - or From the main screen -> Volume -> Spanner -> Button Sounds (tick)
Every time you tap on a button ont he screen, you should hear a click.

Now to pair the phone.

1. If the phone and the Zumo already know about each other, but the phone is not connected, then you have to delete the pairing from the Zumo and you also have to delete the Zumo from the phone. Unpair them at both ends.

2. Get the phone ready to start to search for new devices.

3. Start the Zumo searching for new devices. Settings -> Bluetooth -> Search for Devices.

4. They should find each other. When Pairing my ipad, the Zumo displays a number that I have to type in on the phone. The android just asks to confirm that the numbers match

If they do not find each other you are going to have to do the Bluetooth Rain Dance - which basically means disconenct everything else that the phone may be connecting to or hunting for. Restart both machines from cold. My phone would not connect to the Garmin. I ended up deleting my other garmins, and my cheap BT headset and a couple of other devices that I regularly connect to at home - and then rebooted both machines. Complete power off. That worked perfectly. The two devices found each other straight away.

This is the minimimum that you want to see on the Zumo 595's Bluetooth Screen.

595 Phone - 06.png
595 Phone - 06.png (24.17 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Phone should have the phone icon. The notifications and Smartphone Link icon do not matter at this stage. If you have the Smartphone Link App loaded onto your phone - this provides traffic and weather information amongst other things - then you may get everything lit up - as shown below.

595 Phone - 07.png
595 Phone - 07.png (23.88 KiB) Viewed 182 times

If the phone is properly connected, then you will be able to see this set of icons from Main Screen -> Apps -> Phone

- which I often use to make sure that the Zumo is actually talking to the phone and has received that information.

595 Phone - 10.png
595 Phone - 10.png (26.3 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Voice dial seems to activate voice instructions to the phone - rather than just the dialling mechanism - so "Hey Google" might well work. I haven't played with this - and it will probably be different from the Apple, which I cannot check.

For the Android, the "Smartphone Services" entry in the Bluetooth list offers no options. But with an iphone connected it opens up a set of options which you can select - indicating which notifications (email, messages, Facebook, etc) you wish to have the Zumo display on the screen. For the Android, these have to be selected in the Smartphone Link App itself. Whch isn't nearly as convenient.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Thank you . I will review everything - again :-)

None of the phone panels appear on the navigation screen. And they failed to reappear after a full reset of the 595 a while back. After that reset I paired the 595 with my basic headset and an iPhone in the way that I had been successfully doing since new and even then the phone panels did not appear. Frustrating. Grasping at straws: I wonder if the sw version used by tbt 595 is relevant?

Am in Italy now and phone calls are not essential. Good news is that I successfully established a DMC pairing with another Edge. Volume levels are trustingly variable - sometimes I can hear my chum at full volume and at others he is very faint and him ditto. This does not always coincide with instructions from Garmin. The Cardo periodically activates the radio. Notwithstanding that, things are better than in June!

Thanks

Richard
Attachments
IMG_0795.jpeg
IMG_0795.jpeg (612.01 KiB) Viewed 150 times
IMG_0794.jpeg
IMG_0794.jpeg (201.45 KiB) Viewed 150 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

My 595 has exactly the same infor as yours - except crucially - mine is V10 hardware version. The other figures that follow the V10 are identical to yours.

My 590 has hardware version V9.
But the BT hardware, GPS Firmware, Audio Version and software are the same.
My 595 has a setting FMI MAC: 2.00 - which my 590 does not have.

I wonder if your 595 has been updated from a 590 ?

I know when set my previous 590 to run 595 software - there were two notable differences - the credit screen just showed "zumo" not Zumo 595.
And there was no option to turn the screen into landscape view. Maybe there were other differences that I haven't spotted.

I never used BT phone or BT headset connections with either of them.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

The launch screen is Zumo 595 and it was supplied as such by Garmin.

It _used_ to display the phone panels.

“BT headset” = my shorthand for a cheap Bluetooth headset that is sold under many different labels by Amazon etc. It performed flawlessly with the 590 and 595. It’s only been since I used the 595 in June this year with the Edge that I lost the phone splash screens. Garmin’s solution is to part-ex the 595 for an XT2

Ta

Richard

P.S. bit soggy in Italy!
Attachments
IMG_0796.png
IMG_0796.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 136 times
IMG_0798.jpeg
IMG_0798.jpeg (702.05 KiB) Viewed 136 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - Back to basics. It is failing somewhere, so step by step - lets see if we can see where. One of you images early in indicates that it recognises a phone. So at some point it was connected.

In your Bluetooth Settings you should have a line for the phone and a line for the headset

Something like this.

When everything is connected and working the phone handset symbol should be orange. (Ignore the other two icons on my pic)
The line for the edge should have the headset icon in orange.

(Grey means that the connection has not been made).

What do you have on your BT screen ?
Is there anything else showing on that screen (paired or not) - scroll down.

OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Hi John

Thank you for your reply. Am now back from France

I'll attach what are, hopefully, informative pictures. The 595 is paired with the Cardo as a second phone.

1 - 4 show the 595 settings

Hopefully the lables in the subsequent photos are self explanatory.

Thank you Richard
1.JPG
1.JPG (291.14 KiB) Viewed 28 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (309.16 KiB) Viewed 28 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (285.18 KiB) Viewed 28 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (301.17 KiB) Viewed 28 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (362.22 KiB) Viewed 28 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (375.59 KiB) Viewed 28 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (405.48 KiB) Viewed 28 times