XT2 vs XT - RUT Testing

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Re: XT2 vs XT - RUT Testing

Post by danham »

Oop North John wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:35 pm
The use of the track did help, but one problem is if you're doing an almost out and return, then working out which is the out, and which is the return bit can exercise the brain cells.
That and a route that crosses itself, which can also produce a nice colorful track stripe that offers no clue as to which way to go. I ended up "backwards" on one of these a few years ago and it cost me time and brain cells.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 331 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

danham wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:24 am That and a route that crosses itself, which can also produce a nice colorful track stripe that offers no clue as to which way to go. I ended up "backwards" on one of these a few years ago and it cost me time and brain cells.
Been there, done that! :roll: Fortunately, the sun position helped me to quickly realize that I was heading north when I thought I should be heading south. The brain cells then had to go to work. Riding safely, attentively, and defensively requires a lot of brain power, yet trying to figure out what is going on with a satnav requires so much more. Best not to try doing the latter while doing the former. I wonder how many times my pillion has heard "Honey, I'm stopping to figure out what is going on with the gps", or something similar but more colorful.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 734 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I still do a lot of sun navigation. Nothing serious - just get an indication that I am heading in roughly the correct direction.

But it is sometimes handy to have the compass heading displayed in one of the right hand trip data windows. Also - if a route is running - the distance to the next via point or to the end. Any increase in that value is a big warning flag that something is wrong
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Having the driving map view set to "North Up" helps too. I've been doing that for awhile. I felt disoriented when it was set to "Track Up" but I thought that is how a GPS should be used so stuck with it for too long. I suspect that my years of navigating with paper maps has me conditioned to north up, but I also found that just following a line really screwed up my sense of direction. Admittedly, it is hard to force my brain to tell the rest of me to turn left when the route line goes right on the satnav when riding south. Other than that, North Up feels more comfortable.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 131 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@Peobody

Interesting.

When I moved from the Zumo 220 to the Zumo XT, I decided to have the map also set to North-Up. I was used to that from navigating in my Car.
In situations where you have to deviate from the (planned) route it helps a great deal to judge if the recalculated route makes sense. As we all know the XT needs to be checked!
For the turn-directions. They can be confusing at first. (You cant tell left from right in North-Up) I always follow the direction in the top left corner. Only when that is not clear, I start interpreting the map. You should note that I have no audio from the XT, so I check the top left corner regularly.

The map display can be switched quite easily from North-Up to Direction-Up and vice versa. So you could also stick to Direction-Up, and when it starts recalculating switch to North-Up to check the result. For safety: Dont do it while driving!
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:01 am You should note that I have no audio from the XT, so I check the top left corner regularly.
Me to. It annoys me that I can be looking at the top left corner showing a left turn and yet still turn right because that is the direction the route line goes. The brain is a funny thing. Backing my trailer down my driveway and into its parking spot used to be routine but a couple of weeks ago I simply could not do it. I ended up driving down and doing a u-turn in my backyard. If this is age related then getting old is indeed not for the faint of heart.

Edit: To clarify the visual, it is a 4x8 utility trailer towed by a Subaru Outback. Should be easy to back up.
Last edited by Peobody on Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 138 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

Track Up is easiest if you just want to get to your destination.

North Up is better if you want to learn where you are in relation to other places.

I spent a week driving in a distant city using Track Up and left with no idea where I had been or even how to get out of town.
Subscriber
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 51 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

lkraus wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:34 pm Track Up is easiest if you just want to get to your destination.

North Up is better if you want to learn where you are in relation to other places.

I spent a week driving in a distant city using Track Up and left with no idea where I had been or even how to get out of town.
The compass arrow that shows on some screens / views is a useful tool, which is why I often have the cardinal heading showing in the trip data side screen.
jfheath
Has liked: 342 times
Been liked: 734 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

lkraus wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 1:34 pm I spent a week driving in a distant city using Track Up and left with no idea where I had been or even how to get out of town.
I've had nights like those too !
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC