Upgrade from 595 to XT2?

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.

Should I upgrade from 595 to XT2?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Upgrade from 595 to XT2?

Post by jfheath »

The Rut issue and routing problems that are commented on in here are really academic discussions. Yes, such issues do exist - but that is true with all satnavs. The 660 for example would happily navigate you along the wron road at the crossove point of a figure 8, or would happily tell you that you had arrived at your destination the minute you set off on a circular route.

The RUT issue is something that I discovered, investigated, found out exactly when it occurs and the fact that it doesn't occur in identical circumstances for the identical route created on the XT screen. As a result of that, we have a reliable fix for it.
The discussion you mention is largely to do with curiosity - did Garmin Fix it for the XT2. Well no they didn't - that is if you provide the same input, you get the same results. But the XT2 is designed to create different inputs (eg routes). in spite of what you may read, the Tread app, and the on screen route planner are both very impressive, and the routes you create on the app on (say) an ipad are reproduced exactly in the XT2 - and all the indications are that these routes will never suffer from RUT behaviour.

You find out how to live with it.

And I can live with the 590, the 595 and the XT. I know how to make them work. And if you look at the links in my sig lines under this post, you will find out how I do it.

The XT2 also has issues.. I e not written anything formal yet - Im still working in it.
But all of the advice in those two documents is relevant - particularly about route points.
My XT2 routes me perfectly. So do all of my others. That is because I know when it goes wrong and how to prevent it from doing so.
Usually.

But some pointers for the XT2.
Assume that your route will be recalculated unless you use the Tread app. Use route points accordingly
Never give the XT2 just a destination if it shows you facing the wrong way.
Never press Skip.
Always create a track, and display that as well as your route. Its a safety net.
Always for any imported route -MRA, Kurviger, Basecamp, Rever etc etc Use the copy facility on the XT2 route commands, give the copy a different name and run that instead of the original.

Don't believe most of the comments, opinions and advice that you read on the Facebook forums.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 50 times
Great Britain

Post by Oop North John »

I stopped using my XT for a 595 as the problems in routing were impacting on my enjoyment of being on my bike. The map "themes" can help, but the XT and XT2's level of detail is way better than the 595's on a good day.

The biggest problem I think is that in particular, the XT2 is almost a different operating system compared to the 595 etc. Give a Garmin SP3, 660 etc user a 595 and they could get it working in a few minutes, maybe not at 100% but enough to be happy that it would tell them where to go in a consistent manner. The XT2 is a different ball game, very easy to get confused about what you need to have checked, not checked, how the route is produced, what can influence the route etc etc makes it a steep learning curve. Doesn't help that the manual for a 595 told you most of what you needed, where the XT2's just tells you just about what the contents are.

At some point I'll guess the 595 will become obsolete due to memory limitations, but at least it use the NTU mapping the XT2 does.

I'd suggest that if you're happy with how the 595 is working, that you borrow an XT2 to see how it works, preferably side by side with the 595, and then, and only then, get an XT2.
OldRS
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

Oop North John wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:51 am I stopped using my XT for a 595 as the problems in routing were impacting on my enjoyment of being on my bike. The map "themes" can help, but the XT and XT2's level of detail is way better than the 595's on a good day.

The biggest problem I think is that in particular, the XT2 is almost a different operating system compared to the 595 etc. Give a Garmin SP3, 660 etc user a 595 and they could get it working in a few minutes, maybe not at 100% but enough to be happy that it would tell them where to go in a consistent manner. The XT2 is a different ball game, very easy to get confused about what you need to have checked, not checked, how the route is produced, what can influence the route etc etc makes it a steep learning curve. Doesn't help that the manual for a 595 told you most of what you needed, where the XT2's just tells you just about what the contents are.

At some point I'll guess the 595 will become obsolete due to memory limitations, but at least it use the NTU mapping the XT2 does.

I'd suggest that if you're happy with how the 595 is working, that you borrow an XT2 to see how it works, preferably side by side with the 595, and then, and only then, get an XT2.
I've always hated the poor screen of the 595 and am only considering the XT2 because Garmin is prepared to accept my 550 in part exchange. If i Was able to update the mapping on my 550 I might revert to using that. It does have other issues h Good suggestion about looking at an XT2 before doing so.

Ta

Richard
Owner of a, greatly treasured, Zumo 550 and, deeply loathed, Zumo 595.
biz
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

I had a 550, then a 660, then my 590/5. I've never found the screen visibility on any of them to be a problem, even in bright light. I do have the 590/5 theme set to Slovensko, but that's just because I like it, not because it helps readability.
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

biz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:01 am I had a 550, then a 660, then my 590/5. I've never found the screen visibility on any of them to be a problem, even in bright light. I do have the 590/5 theme set to Slovensko, but that's just because I like it, not because it helps readability.
I was (am) truly shocked by how dim and faint the 590 screen was when compared side-by-side with the 550. When I complained to Garmin about that and the off-power battery life they replaced the 590 with a 595 and, pretty much, shrugged their shoulders. The 595 was no better than the 595.

Cheers

Richard
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

OldRS wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:07 am I was (am) truly shocked by how dim and faint the 590 screen was when compared side-by-side with the 550. When I complained to Garmin about that and the off-power battery life they replaced the 590 with a 595 and, pretty much, shrugged their shoulders. The 595 was no better than the 595.

Cheers

Richard
Have you tried a glare reducing film? I found the 595 to be adequately bright but the reflective glare was horrible. I installed NuShield DayVue film, it really helps IMHO. The XT is of course light yrs ahead in brightness, I assume the XT2 is as well. I installed the film on my XT, too. But as others have mentioned, there's a steep learning curve. I've been using the XT for a couple yrs and it still drives my crazy once in a while- it seems it can never figure out a simple, complete route based on time and not speed. I have cursed at it many times and still often think about going back to the 595.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

rbentnail wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:24 am
OldRS wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:07 am I was (am) truly shocked by how dim and faint the 590 screen was when compared side-by-side with the 550. When I complained to Garmin about that and the off-power battery life they replaced the 590 with a 595 and, pretty much, shrugged their shoulders. The 595 was no better than the 595.

Cheers

Richard
Have you tried a glare reducing film? I found the 595 to be adequately bright but the reflective glare was horrible. I installed NuShield DayVue film, it really helps IMHO. The XT is of course light yrs ahead in brightness, I assume the XT2 is as well. I installed the film on my XT, too. But as others have mentioned, there's a steep learning curve. I've been using the XT for a couple yrs and it still drives my crazy once in a while- it seems it can never figure out a simple, complete route based on time and not speed. I have cursed at it many times and still often think about going back to the 595.

Yep, I have a non-reflective screen protector.
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Most odd.

Yes the screen is probably not as bright as modern screens - or as bright as other around at the time - but unless the sun was directly behind me, I never found it difficult to read. Neither did my pillion - but mine is located on the dash of an ST1100/1300 - so it is just a glance down. If your satnav is positioned further down - it has to be pointing upwards - so there will be a lot of reflection. The only time I had problems was in bright sunshine heading south. Then I got the refelction off my fluoresecent yellow saefty jacket.

I assume that you have set the brightness to 100% - and beware that the brightness level may change when the battery is low and that it sometimes retains that setting when you plug it into the power cradle - so check it hasn't adopted a lower setting when you power up the cradle.

These are my XT (lower) and XT2 (higher) mounts. The higher one is my preferred location, and where I had my 590 and 595. Photo is taken from about my eye level when seated on the bike - I would normally be looking forward at about the level of the red tool box. The Zumo is almost verical. The lower one - I have to take my eye off the road for too long in order for it to be useful.

Zumo XT XT2 mounted.jpg
Zumo XT XT2 mounted.jpg (106.55 KiB) Viewed 713 times

nb - both Zumos are showing a different simulation !!
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
OldRS
Great Britain

Post by OldRS »

jfheath wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 11:53 am Most odd.

Yes the screen is probably not as bright as modern screens - or as bright as other around at the time - but unless the sun was directly behind me, I never found it difficult to read. Neither did my pillion - but mine is located on the dash of an ST1100/1300 - so it is just a glance down. If your satnav is positioned further down - it has to be pointing upwards - so there will be a lot of reflection. The only time I had problems was in bright sunshine heading south. Then I got the refelction off my fluoresecent yellow saefty jacket.

I assume that you have set the brightness to 100% - and beware that the brightness level may change when the battery is low and that it sometimes retains that setting when you plug it into the power cradle - so check it hasn't adopted a lower setting when you power up the cradle.

These are my XT (lower) and XT2 (higher) mounts. The higher one is my preferred location, and where I had my 590 and 595. Photo is taken from about my eye level when seated on the bike - I would normally be looking forward at about the level of the red tool box. The Zumo is almost verical. The lower one - I have to take my eye off the road for too long in order for it to be useful.

Zumo XT XT2 mounted.jpg

nb - both Zumos are showing a different simulation !!
I'll put some electrons in my 550, although despite it last being powered-up over a year ago I expect that it will start. The 595 will definitely require charging. I'll take some pictures or movie.
biz
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by biz »

My two 595-ed 590s. I find them bright enough, and have no difficulty seeing them in pretty much all situations. I mount them on the left hand side of my bars, just a nice spot to glance at.

Attachments
zumos2.JPG
zumos2.JPG (61.19 KiB) Viewed 665 times