Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
tombarrington
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times
United States of America

Re: Summary of tools to fix the trips on the XT

Post by tombarrington »

I gave the JaVaWa tool a try and ran into a wrinkle. I followed this order:

- Sent three routes (representing three days) to the Zumo SD card from BaseCamp.
- Imported the three routes in the Zumo Trip Planner.
- Copied the three .trip files to my hard drive from the .System\Trips directory.
- Ran each file through the JaVaWa tool. Each showed as modified. When downloading the modified files to my hard drive I changed the name by adding the destination city in front of the file name, for example, Tucson1060977884_mod.trip. These I saved back to the .System\Trips directory.
- Unplugged and rebooted the Zumo.
- Did not find any Saved routes in the Trip Planner. Instead, there were two Imported routes for the each of the three days, consistent with the JaVaWa note saying that the route will be listed twice if not renamed.

So, did I miss some step, use improper syntax, or make some other error?
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambassador
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

If you read that note closely on the JaVaWa tool page you will see that is says to delete the original .trip files. This is because Trip Planner reads the route name inside the file. That will not change when you change the file name.

I suggest trying again, removing the original .trip files before writing the 'fixed' .trip files. There isn't any reason to rename the fixed .trip files.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

You're right, thank you! It was subtle until I read it again and then it was obvious. It worked this time (showing as Saved) and I still have the original routes on the SD card just in case.

I was a bit nervous about this at first but it's much more convenient for a multi-day trip than the on-the-device method. Hopefully, Garmin will fix this and note it in their release notes.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

tombarrington wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:58 pm You're right, thank you! It was subtle until I read it again and then it was obvious.
@tombarrington
It was me who translated the text from Dutch to English. Not being a native English speaker I may have put things 'awkward'. Sorry for that.
Does the text need correcting?

Glad you got it working. Enjoy your trip.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

@FrankB, thank you for your work on this. It really is easy to use. If I had read more deliberately I would have picked up on this detail. You might consider just adding another bullet to the "How to I use it?" section saying to delete the original .Trip file. Also, if changing the modified .Trip file name doesn't seem to have any effect (per @Peobody) then maybe that reference could be removed for over-thinkers like me.

Thanks again for making this tool available.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

@tombarrington Thanks for your compliments.

Now If I understand you correctly you're proposing something like this?
clarification.jpg
clarification.jpg (186.23 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
I think you're right, the remark is somewhat hidden, but I don't think you will make that mistake again, and you're the first to make that remark. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed.
The point is that I will have to ask Jaco (my fellow countryman who created and is hosting the online program) to do the change. In 3 languages. And I dont want to bother him, unless really needed.

Edit: Some more background info. I did the Java programming viewtopic.php?t=2301. That program overwrites the original file. So there was no need to delete the original trip file.
Jaco did the programming of the online tool. https://www.javawa.nl/triprepair.html That program creates a xxx_mod.trip file. The remarks where added after his prototype was ready, and I discovered that not deleting would be confusing.
tombarrington
United States of America

Post by tombarrington »

@FrankB, thanks for the quick response. Yes, your edit is accurate. Since I'm an outlier, though, it may not be worth bothering Jaco with a change. Readers of this thread would be alerted as a result of this conversation. Another alternative might be to add a remark to your initial post of this topic.
Online Tool TripRepair
Suited for anybody
Pros: Works on any platform, no need to install anything.
Cons: Can do only one file a time.
Info: https://javawa.nl/triprepair.htm
I appreciate the work you and others did to identify the cause of this problem.
2022 BMW R1250 GS
2002 BMW R1100S
1984 Honda VF700F
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

tombarrington wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:42 pm Another alternative might be to add a remark to your initial post of this topic.
I'll do that, much easier.
Apox
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Apox »

My friend and I noticed during the trip that there are problems with routing even if the imported track is converted to Trip in the Tracks menu.
So I mean routes that only have start and end points.

When you converted tracks into trips and did one of those "tricks" again, the routing worked much better, even on these routes made from tracks
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for sharing the info.
A few months ago I did a test with a 'trip from a track'. I did not see any difference wether it was fixed or not. But it was only a small test.

viewtopic.php?t=2333