Zumo XT Fails to Calculate & Display Route Segment Info

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
BMcG
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Zumo XT Fails to Calculate & Display Route Segment Info

Post by BMcG »

I did request that nobody try and blame MRA as I had already tested routes made from BaseCamp & routes even made on the XT itself,
both showed the issue in simulation mode & when actually riding the bike as mentioned in a previous post, but hey ho

Just to put it to rest, have done the test requested with a route created from Waypoints in Bascecamp & no surprises,
it does exactly the same thing as per my previous post, the issue is not MRA

It does smell similar to the RUT problem so I ran the same BaseCamp route generated from Waypoints (attached) through the web version of the trip repair tool https://www.javawa.nl/triprepair.htm
Issue still behaves exactly the same

I think we will find that somewhere in the XT route calculation algorithm some dumb softie has a counter which is either over or undercounting the number of route points & it is attempting to recalculate using the wrong earlier route point

To me it does mean that Closest Entry is pretty much borked unless used at the beginning, in the first segment of a route :( :x :(

M3 BaseCamp Waypoints.gpx
(20.22 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I agree, almost, totally.

MRA, BC or whatever tool makes no difference.
The RUT fix neither
Closest entry point seems to trigger it, but not always.

But Closest entry point does work, the route preview not working is more of a cosmetic issue. (Personal opinion)
BMcG
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by BMcG »

I don't believe it is purley a cosmetic issue as it appears to be trying to do a calculation using faulty data
It may look like things are ok, proceeding normally but I expect if it was possible to simulate another deviation or missed waypoint the XT would get totally bamboozled & you would see the route going off in umpteen different directions like we have all witnessed
Closest Entry may work in the first segment but I believe this issue will trigger every time there is a deviation / recalculation required after the first segment, if the first segment contains a shaping point.
To me it is a clear simple repeatable demonstrable bug which distracts from keeping eyes on the road & the above tests show Closeset Entry does not work in later segments.

Thanks to you I can at least hide the bug by unchecking the Route Preview & now know that a Skip may/should sort things out
Having to perfom a Skip when you seem to be on route & the XT appears to be navigating ok is IMO just plain another example of how bad the XT is

The XT could be good, the screen is blindingly brilliant, but unfortunately it is let down by buggy software & poor UI
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Well, like I said: Personal opinion, you may have yours.

I did have problems with Closest Entry Point in the past, but it were all errors on my side. For example:
- Via/Shaping points badly placed, not on the road.
- Or put in a way that the XT was forced to calculate u-turns.
- Route calculated with another map than active on the XT.

Apart from that CEP has always worked for me, and I use it frequently.