Prevent Zumo XT from recording speed

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Re: Prevent Zumo XT from recording speed

Post by Grabcon »

Sorry guys but I can't help myself from commenting on this thread. Are there not far more important thing in this world to think about. The Speed, elevation and position are all calculated based on the data points in the GPX current and archive files which are ALL ARE STORED LOCALLY. If you have to worry about how fast you are going or where you were maybe you should reevaluate life.
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

Short version: having ridden with officers over the years who are friends, and having gotten one or two tickets, I conclude that the GPS is not a factor in deciding whether to write you up.

Slightly longer version: before the officer gets out of the cruiser, he (or she) has pretty much decided whether to cite you. If it's a judgment call, how you behave when you are asked for license & registration counts, as does how you were riding prior to being pulled over (weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, dragging a knee, vs. calmly moving faster than the posted speed and not breaking any other laws).

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Grabcon wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:13 pm Sorry guys but I can't help myself from commenting on this thread. Are there not far more important thing in this world to think about. The Speed, elevation and position are all calculated based on the data points in the GPX current and archive files which are ALL ARE STORED LOCALLY. If you have to worry about how fast you are going or where you were maybe you should reevaluate life.
Sorry, but can't they talk about the speed as well? Sure there are more important things in the World, but this is a Zumo user forum, eh.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

All of the GPS navigation units that I have owned, just not the Zumo XT record a current and archive gpx file. From the file all speed and elevations and location as well as time date stamp are recorded. My dash cam on my on my bike records not only video and gps location and speed, data etc.. This can be visualized with a viewer, showing speed, route and video data synced together. Now let's use this as a positive note. You have an incident heaven for bid that data can be used to show who may be at fault. This is very important for us in the US that go south of the border to Mexico, where all parties are guilty until proven other wise.

eh FXwheels you are right this is a Zumo XT forum but this is an issue if you want to call it that has been around for a long time with other sat nav units. All I am saying is don't promote breaking the law and not want to live with their actions.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Grabcon wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:55 am All I am saying is don't promote breaking the law and not want to live with their actions.
I didn't think that the OP was promoting braking the law. He just asked a question.
On a side note, however if he's going over the speed limits, that's his choice. (Show me one who's never did that :)).