Poll : Curious about the Zumo XT2 ? Read on....

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.

Your current satnav / route planning software (Two answers)

Current Satnav - Zumo XT (not XT2)
25%
Current Satnav - Zumo 590 / 595 / 390 / 395 /396
8%
Current Satnav - Zumo 660 / 665 or earlier
4%
Current Satnav - Other Satnav
8%
Current Satnav - None
No votes
Current Route Planner - Basecamp / Mapsource
36%
Current Route Planner - Garmin Explore
1%
Current Route Planner - Web based software eg MRA, Kurviger, etc
15%
Current Route Planner - Google Maps / Other
4%
Current Route Planner - None
No votes

Total votes: 80

smfollen
Subscriber
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 21 times
United States of America

Re: Poll : Curious about the Zumo XT2 ? Read on....

Post by smfollen »

From my [limited] experience it appears that:

1. perfectly valid routes from imported gpx files can change dramatically when Tread syncs with the Explore database. No edit of the route is involved. It seems that the original route's shaping points are ignored when the sync and related route recalculation occur. I have a feeling that may be related to the Explore database rather than Tread itself, but I have no proof, at least not yet. We had discussed the issue in this tread: https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3007. I am still in dialog with Garmin support on that.

2. When NOT syncing with Tread (or prior to syncing), the XT2 may make minor changes to shaping points (e.g. name changes) depending on the point's subclass. We discussed that deeper in the above thread. I have not [yet] pursued that with Garmin support.

I will, of course, share whatever else I learn from further tests and from Garmin Support.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Re: Poll : Curious about the Zumo XT2 ? Read on....

Post by jfheath »

I have some (initial) proof of that. I need to add that to the link that you provided to continue that conversation.
But it only does it (so far) if the app is open on the phone. Not if it isn't open.

Your point 2 - the minor changes to routes also happened on the XT - I think it was garmins way of dealing with the fact that so many people were having problems using third party mapping software and route points were not plotted correctly. I think what is happening is that the coordinates are taken as given, and the decimal number for the coordinates is reduced from say 8 decimal places to 5 or 6, rounded off so that they are not as accurate, and then the nearest known place on the road in the Zumo database is found. In towns the resulting change is very small, but on the open road the nearest known point could be a good way up the same road.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC