Being forced to go back to a waypoint

For help and advice on the Garmin Zumo XT2.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Being forced to go back to a waypoint

Post by Peobody »

@jfheath , did you notice whether the Proximity Alerts setting existed on the XT2 out of the box? I'm curious because on my XT it took me awhile to figure out that it did not exists until I had installed a custom POI file that was configured with a proximity alert (rest areas with rest rooms in my case). The file did not work as I had hoped so I removed it which removed the Proximity Alert option.

Hmmm, I wonder if just the existence of a waypoint proximity alert in a route would be enough to enable it. I need to test that, unless someone responds with an answer before I get to it.

Edit: The answer to my ponder is "No". I have a 6.6 mile test route containing a waypoint shaping point, an ad-hoc shaping point and a restaurant via point that was added to the route from Basecamp search results. I set a .5 mi proximity on the restaurant waypoint and then transferred the route to the XT internal storage. Following its import I went in search of the 'Proximity Alert" option. No joy. I then started the route to see if that would trigger the 'Proximity Alert" option. Still no joy. Finally, I ran a simulation of the route. There was nothing to indicate that the proximity alert was noticed by the XT.
Last edited by Peobody on Wed May 29, 2024 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 742 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I did some POI and Tour Guide testing recently, but that was on the XT. I haven't tried POIs on this machine yet.

No POI loader was required or putting any other files onto the XT2, and none of my POI experiments have been anywhere near this XT2. I didn't have it.

All I did was set the proximity field in the appropriate box in waypoint properties in Basecamp. My BC is set for imperial, so I put 9 m, and it replaced that with 9 mi or 9 miles. (I could have used 9 feet). That was it. Ran a route under simulation and it pinged at exactly the spot where the 9 mi perimeter fence was plotted. The waypoint was at the end of a two point route. I dont know if it would do this if the waypoint was not part of the route I was on. I know that issue cropped up with POIs, but not with tour guide data.

It might still be a fluke, Ive only done one test. But it was the XT2, a waypoint with proximity set which was at the end of a short route, and as good as straight out of the box. Tested using simulation, not on the road. No message popped up.

I did note that the gpx file contained a section which defined the proximity in the waypoint definition.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:30 pm I did note that the gpx file contained a section which defined the proximity in the waypoint definition.
I'll check that in temp.gpx before it gets overwritten.

Hope you saw the edit to my previous post.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Peobody wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:45 pm I'll check that in temp.gpx before it gets overwritten.
There is this reference to 'Proximity" associated with that restaurant waypoint in temp.gpx.
<gpxx:Proximity>804.672</gpxx:Proximity>
Wish it was decipherable by us mere mortals.
Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

@jfheath the second ping you heard was probably as the simulation left the proximity area (the other side of the circle). This is what the Montana would do, Alert when it reached the circle, then again as it left. I've still had no joy in getting it to work on the XT2. Will check against the settings you've used today.
Edit - Is is possible the Rider Alerts are only relevant to Garmin Red Light Cameras? (The only choice under "Alerts -Type of alerts"?)
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Triplog wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:49 am @jfheath the second ping you heard was probably as the simulation left the proximity area (the other side of the circle). This is what the Montana would do, Alert when it reached the circle, then again as it left.
No -it wasn't that. The proximity circle was 9 miles radius. I only simulated the route until I reached the point where it pinged.
Triplog wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:49 am Edit - Is it possible the Rider Alerts are only relevant to Garmin Red Light Cameras? (The only choice under "Alerts -Type of alerts"?)
The XT2 has two entries under Proximity alerts. Audio (Alerts near proximity points) and Alerts(Type of alerts) which opens up the list of one - Red Light camera. I have yet to test turning of the Audio.
The XT also has both of these options.

Edit

But I have just tried another point with a proximity value set. That didn't ping. It wasn't a saved route though - it was just navigating to a destination which had the prximity value. The plot thickens.

And I have just tried another route similar to my first two point route with a waypoint not on route, but with a proximity circle that I would cross.
That didn't work either. I wonder if my first test was a coincidental ping.
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Triplog
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by Triplog »

I'll have to resign myself to the fact that it isn't available on the XT2. Pity as it was really useful in the past. Unless of course a Garmin developer is following this thread and also thinks its a great idea! :P :lol:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I've not given up on this, but I've got a few other projects to finish, in and amongst everything else. Enjoying every minute of it! I'll come back to it. Just had a thought - it might be to do with collection visibility..... I've been playing with those settings for some notes on here ....

I know I heard it in exactly the right point - but I have tried a few times to reproduce it in different places, without success.

@Peobody <gpxx:Proximity>804.672</gpxx:Proximity> looks as though it might be half a mile in metres. I haven't checked but it'll be close.

Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:54 am @Peobody <gpxx:Proximity>804.672</gpxx:Proximity> looks as though it might be half a mile in metres. I haven't checked but it'll be close.
Ahhh... metres, or as we say over here, "meters". That makes sense considering I set the proximity at .5 mi. Thanks.