Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
lou
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Advice needed on trip to USA

Post by lou »

Hi
Very lucky to go on a trip to USA. Group of us hiring Harley’s round 1200 mile trip starting and finishing in Las Vegas. My friend has planned the various routes in Tom Tom and has sent me the gpx files. Question is do I bite the bullet and purchase North American maps from garmin for this one off trip or is there other options. I guess going the purchase route gives me all the poi’s etc petrol stops . Any advice gratfully received. Ahh also is it better to load gpx into base camp first or just connect xt to pc and place gpx file in the correct directory on the xt ( forgotten the directory but will look up on how to do that). Thanks
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: Advice needed on trip to USA

Post by Peobody »

If I were you I would only purchase the U.S. map if I was concerned about being separated from the group. Bringing up a map on a phone is helpful in pinch but that is dependent on cell service. I suspect that cell service is spotty when away from the cities but I don't that for sure. Maybe get a U.S. Road Atlas to pack along. I always pack paper maps when I long distance ride even though I have an XT and a phone.

If you chose to get the map, I suggest opening the .gpx file in BaseCamp and then comparing it to your friends Tom Tom route to make sure they are the same. Once confirmed, or once fixed in BaseCamp to match, I would then make a track of the route. Transfer both the route and the track to the XT. Show the track on the map while riding because a recalculation by the XT is almost guaranteed to mess up the route. If that happens, you can follow the track until you reach a point where you can re-start the route.

I don't recommend copying the .gpx file directly on the XT because the XT will calculate the route. It will be difficult to verify whether or not that calculation altered the intended route. I am interested to see other forum members thoughts on this.

BTW, I am envious of your trip. I have driven in Nevada and Utah, and horseback ridden in the canyon areas of Utah, but I have never motorcycled.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Excellent info from @Peobody as usual.

I am assuming that your friend has given you routes, rather than tracks of your intended journey. Our answers are assuming that we are dealing with routes - ie sequence of points which either Basecamp or the XT can use to join together using a selection of roads, based on your routing preferences.

You can turn off automatic recalculation of a route, which is very handy if you are also displaying a track. The satnav goes quiet when it is off the original route and bursts into life again when you rejoin it.

However - this does not prevent the XT from calculating the route when it is first transferred or first loaded.
You might want to turn off traffic info to prevent it from re-routing - but I don't have enough information to know if that is necessary.

Has your friend made a single route for the entire trip ? If so I would break it into a route for each day (or half day)

Absolutely essential though is to use mainly Shaping Points. Shaping Points show up as small blue discs on the route map in the XT. In the route list in Basecamp, they are listed in grey text have "(won't alert)" displayed alongside the name of the point.

Use Via Points for a small number of locations such as stopping places - places that you will definitely pass through. I like to place these on the road to be ridden just after the stop rather than at a cafe. Via Points appear in black text in the Basecamp route properties list, and show as orange flags on the XT screen.

Doing this means that if you do deviate and rejoin the route again, navigation will continue correctly when you rejoin. If you have missed out a via point while you were off route, it will insist that you go back to it when you rejoin.

If you have allowed the XT to set up explore, then I suggest that you disable it again. Link

The information on how to show tracks when Explore is not set up, is shown on the following page.

---------

If you have received tracks, then their are 3 options.

1 Show the track in screen, no navigation instructions will be given, but the track will not alter.
2 Load it into the XT and select Convert to Trip. This produces a magenta line with no route points, but which gives turn by turn directions.
3 Load the track into Basecamp and use it to construct a route which follows the same line on the map.

More info on each if these is here and surrounding pages.

app.php/ZXT-P48
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

You could also load a free OSM map to cover the area you're using so you have a map to view.
electro_handyman
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 32 times
United States of America

Post by electro_handyman »

You might inquire about what Harley you are renting. Most all of the newer Electra Glides and Road Kings have built in GPS maps in the radio/nav unit.
My '17 has it, so I'd imagine that anything newer also would, unless the head unit was replaced with something aftermarket.
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

Hi All

This is a great response many thanks for the Help. So hiring road King from these people https://escapeeagles.com/ seem ok based on trip adviser etc
Just sent them email to check on sat nav.

Was interested on the reply from sussamb (thanks) so is OSM an option ? Could i use this to load the route in etc.

What ever happens Ill take the advice and load gpx into Basecamp first to check.

2 of the group are taking Tom Toms so I may get asked to forget mine and just follow :lol:

Think Ill get a paper map what ever happens. Hire people may have something.
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

Peobody wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:08 am If I were you I would only purchase the U.S. map if I was concerned about being separated from the group. Bringing up a map on a phone is helpful in pinch but that is dependent on cell service. I suspect that cell service is spotty when away from the cities but I don't that for sure. Maybe get a U.S. Road Atlas to pack along. I always pack paper maps when I long distance ride even though I have an XT and a phone.

If you chose to get the map, I suggest opening the .gpx file in BaseCamp and then comparing it to your friends Tom Tom route to make sure they are the same. Once confirmed, or once fixed in BaseCamp to match, I would then make a track of the route. Transfer both the route and the track to the XT. Show the track on the map while riding because a recalculation by the XT is almost guaranteed to mess up the route. If that happens, you can follow the track until you reach a point where you can re-start the route.

I don't recommend copying the .gpx file directly on the XT because the XT will calculate the route. It will be difficult to verify whether or not that calculation altered the intended route. I am interested to see other forum members thoughts on this.

BTW, I am envious of your trip. I have driven in Nevada and Utah, and horseback ridden in the canyon areas of Utah, but I have never motorcycled.
Thanks for this info Peobody excellent advice, just posted thanks to all and have now worked out howw to reply individually :D
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

sussamb wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:41 am You could also load a free OSM map to cover the area you're using so you have a map to view.
Ahh ok thanks for the Info as posted just now how do i get the OSM and can it create routes
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

I haven't tried this with an XT, but with earlier Garmin units it was an economical option. Buy the North America maps on an SD card for $100 and use it on your trip. Unlike downloaded Garmin maps, they are not locked to one unit, so you can sell the card after your trip. Or look online to see if someone who did this is selling their card.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
lou
Great Britain

Post by lou »

danham wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:49 am I haven't tried this with an XT, but with earlier Garmin units it was an economical option. Buy the North America maps on an SD card for $100 and use it on your trip. Unlike downloaded Garmin maps, they are not locked to one unit, so you can sell the card after your trip. Or look online to see if someone who did this is selling their card.

-dan
Thats great thanks Dan