Deleted Zumo XT Storage

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Anaerobic0677
Germany

Deleted Zumo XT Storage

Post by Anaerobic0677 »

Good evening everyone!

I have just killed my Zumo XT in which I have deleted the internal storage (via MTP).
Of course I made a backup of it extra in advance, but unfortunately the device does not even switch to MTP transfer mode anymore.

My original problem was that during an update my laptop went into standby (meanwhile you can still work on your main computer, which runs on Linux, on which the Garmin tools do not run). Express reported a failed update, but did not want to update again. The result was then no more visible map.

Removing the map with Express was my next step. Then I rebooted and switched back to transfer mode and reinstalled the card via Express. Unfortunately the same error.
My next idea was to wipe the memory and then restore the device with Express. But that does not work.

My device can now be started (bootloader also works), then comes the language selection, keyboard selection, voice selection and finally the map display settings. In the latter two are already no more points selectable. In the last step, the device then simply restarts (soft reboot).

How do I get the thing back into MTP mode?
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Re: Deleted Zumo XT Storage

Post by jfheath »

I'm not familiar with the steps that you have taken.

I know of the Hidden menu and have used it to roll back the software version to the previous version. But that's all on this particular Zumo.
Presumably the boot program you are referring to is the one that I described on this page ?

app.php/ZXT-P85

As for MTP mode, the unit is normally set as that anyway - the only other two options are USB Ethernet and USB Ethernet Single Session.

Both of these can be obtained from the hidden system menu.
  • Maps.
  • Press the speedo button
  • Long press the circuar speedo - 10 seconds to get to the Diagnostic Page.
  • Configuration and Settings.
  • MTP Settings.
But I don't know if you that far into the system yet.
There is also - in the same menu - the option to show the .System folder when conencted by USB
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It sounds like it is going through its initial setup process. In that case, the restart makes sense so that it can startup with the option selected. What is happening after the restart?
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Anaerobic0677
Germany

Post by Anaerobic0677 »

After a restart it proceeds to the "Select a language" screen again, which again is followed by"select a keyboard language", "select a voice language" and "select a map theme". The last one has not even an enabled OK button. It just restarts after like 5 seconds on that screen (seems more like an exceptional behavior as there are neither maps nor map themes found)
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 330 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

I suspect it is looking for the default map data that got deleted. Have you tried connecting it to a PC to see if it got so far as to have MTP enabled?

One thing I can tell you is that I once used the SD card procedure contained in the post @jfheath linked to when I did a firmware downgrade. He mentions an issue with the SD card method but it worked for me (no file rename required). I don't know whether a reinstall of firmware will solve your problem though.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
Anaerobic0677
Germany

Post by Anaerobic0677 »

Yes, unfortunately it doesn't even show the "PC-Connection detected" dialog :( nor switches into MTP-Mode after its timeout..

I've tried the microSD Firmware Upgrade Method too. No success either.

The update file itself is a tar-File, its content however seems to be encrypted though (.sh-Scripts or .ext4.gz-Images).

Is there a possibility to set the uboot-Flags to boot into MTP-Mode?
Ferdinando
Has liked: 2 times
Italy

Post by Ferdinando »

Anaerobic0677 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm Yes, unfortunately it doesn't even show the "PC-Connection detected" dialog :( nor switches into MTP-Mode after its timeout..

The update file itself is a tar-File, its content however seems to be encrypted though (.sh-Scripts or .ext4.gz-Images).

As you solved, please? I have same identical problem on Zumo xt of a friend of mine
jfheath
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 727 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Anaerobic0677 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:09 pm Yes, unfortunately it doesn't even show the "PC-Connection detected" dialog :( nor switches into MTP-Mode after its timeout..

Tar files contain a collection of files all bundled together in one. Do they need to be de-tarred before using them ?
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC