Map layers/detail?

mikeant
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Map layers/detail?

Post by mikeant »

Is it possible to turn off the symbols for eating places, petrol stations, pedestrian footpath crossings etc? In a town with a large number of shops the background map get almost totally obscured by such symbols
I have a 390, a 590 and an XT
sussamb
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 368 times
Great Britain

Re: Map layers/detail?

Post by sussamb »

Varies from device to device but if you have a Map Layers option turn off 'Up ahead places'.
mikeant
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by mikeant »

That worked. Thank you!
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Map Layers certainly gets rid of those points - but it also removes Waypoints - ie the favourites/saved locations on Zumos 590, 595, XT and probably the 39x series as well. Waypoints are the locations that are created and saved and which may be added to a route to be set as a Via point or shaping point.
So waypoints will show on a map if you have set them as Via or Shaping points in a route - just as the orange flag or blue disc. If you want other waypoints to show - the ones that have not been in a route, then Map Layers needs to be turned on.

That causes a problem - because the other three categories are also turned on. To avoid this, Tap the black arrow alongside up ahead places. It lists three categories of things that it will display (eg Cafe, BArs, Roadside services). You can change these to less popular items - or you can use a custom search. I have three custom searches, one for each displayed up-ahead place. One is called Xxxx (which searches the database for entries with 'Xxxx' in their name). One is called Yyyy. One is called Zzzz. Needless to say, it doesn't find any of these - so all I get showing on the map if up ahead palces is selected are my nearby saved waypoints.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC