Is there a magic way of connecting the XT to my laptop?

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Is there a magic way of connecting the XT to my laptop?

Post by fatfeet »

I use MRA to plan a route,

then plan A to B to C to D to E etc etc, I then save this after I have played with it, and routed it via the roads I want to visit, I then drop it into BC, look through it make sure it's the same, then sort out any via points if needed then upload using a cable, I don't do it wirelessly.

this may seem a faff to most but it works for me and the route is always as I planned it. this of course works for me as it connects fine to my Mac.
to achieve, we must first attempt
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

these past few posts, do not in any way help the OP to sort his problem out, sorry "OWL"
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

Thanks to "Fatfeet" for posting, because that was really helpful as well. It takes it all sorts :)
owl*
Great Britain

Post by owl* »

fatfeet wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:52 pm these past few posts, do not in any way help the OP to sort his problem out, sorry "OWL"
All interesting stuff, though.

The early posts helped me to understand what was going on. Luckily, I had managed to download the routes I needed a week or two beforehand, it was just GE I was having trouble with.

I'm off to play in the Black Forest tomorrow morning, then on to the Austrian Alps, so I will try the suggestions re GE when I get back.

I'm grateful to everyone who posted.
casbar
Been liked: 4 times
Great Britain

Post by casbar »

Have a great trip, hope all goes well !
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry, I cannot comment on the Mac behaviour - I have never owned one. I mention the following in case the behaviour on the PC is relevant.

On a PC, Garmin Express doesn't shut down completely unless you stop the process from running using task manager.

When GE is first installed, it ensures that part of GE is launched when the computer starts up each time. I get rid of that, and prevent it from launching - The option to do this is in the GE settings menu. But each new GE update puts it back again.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
RobWCanada

Post by RobWCanada »

I know you seemed to have resolved this with a new cable. But I was having the exact same issue with Garmin Express and my Mac running "Catalina" (old yes, it's a 2013 Mac but still going strong!)

Anyway, I was using the supplied Garmin cable to connect, I always keep this around because it is true that the Garmin's are very finicky with the USB cable selection. But anyway, I was still not able to connect.

SOLUTION:
Step 1: Drag Garmin Express to the trash bin (or un-install on Windows)
Step 2: Download Garmin Express from Garmin.com
Step 3: Done. Zumo XT was connected.

** Not only did this work, after removing and re-installing I didn't even restart the computer OR unplug the Zumo XT from the laptop. As soon as the Garmin Express software was re-installed everything worked as expected.

Also, previous connections were also still there. Prolly cause library settings weren't removed. Only the application was dragged to the bin.

simple, hopefully it helps others. Sometimes the solution is the easiest one.

R
owl*
Great Britain

Post by owl* »

I actually gave up after hours of trying, for my latest trip to Scotland, and using all of the suggestions made.

My wife remembered she had an old (15 years +) Microsoft laptop in the back of a cupboard, so we charged it up, plugged in the Zumo and it connected up immediately, downloaded the latest maps & updates, and transferred my routes and landmarks, all in about 10 minutes.

This is now my go to laptop for anything Garmin - they really haven't got behind support for Apple.

I would recommend purchasing an old Microsoft laptop and save yourself a world of frustration.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

hi @owl*

I do agree that Garmin products, do not play well with MAC OS,I have in the past had all the problems you have written about, but fingers crossed, at the moment mine are playing well together. every now and again I still have to close the app a couple of times in order for the XT to be recognised.

I also have a 10+ old Microsoft laptop that I fall back on, I have to use this for uploading routes onto my walking GPS, as no matter what I do, my Mac will not connect to it.

anyway at least you are getting some where.
danham
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

casbar wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:34 am If you are using MRA and a Mac, there is no way you can directly transfer routes via copy and paste. The only way is via saving to Garmin Drive or similar and using wireless.

By the way, I am not having any issues because I know the work arounds and also have the use of a Windows Laptop as well as my Mac :)
There is a very simple workaround that I often use even though my Mac (2017 iMac, OS 10.13.6) is working just fine with my XT.

Use an SD card. Regardless of whether you use MRA or BC or whatever, when you have a gpx file ready to go to your XT, dump it onto an SD card mounted on your desktop with a GPX folder inside a Garmin folder and pop it into your XT.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE