Trying to understand XT setup.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

New satnav user here.

Post by KingRat »

Please be patient. I am a digital dinosaur and struggle with anything computer based. I have bitten the bullet and bought an XT though, on recommendation of other bike riding friends. This is after trying to find the TET routes, without a sat nav, for about 5 or 6 years. So my understanding of how it all works is on a par with a 2 year old. :D
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Re: New satnav user here.

Post by Peobody »

Welcome from the U.S. If you haven't found this forum post, it is a great place to start.
viewtopic.php?t=1464
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thanks - I haven't found any forum posts yet. I don't know what to ask to look for yet and my searching of forums is legendary - i obviously ask the wrong questions of the system, because I never find what I am looking for, but other people find it and post a link in seconds!

I am watching a yoo toob video on how to set up the Zumo XT. Hmmm, Bluetooth... I have never used bluetooth yet. So that is a totally new area for me aswell. I shall have a look at what you have suggested and go back to the video in a bit. I am already bombarded and having to rewind it every few seconds to try to take in what is being described. It is very complicated. I have popped on here because I already have a headache and I've only seen about 5 minutes of the 25 minute video!
KingRat
Great Britain

Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by KingRat »

My XT hasn't arrived yet, I am expecting it today. While I wait I have been watching a yoo toob video that was recommended to learn how to use a SatNav. In the setup the video is saying to link the XT to your mobile phone, the video maker uses an iPhone. Do you have to have a mobile phone that will link to the XT to use it? My mobile phone doesn't have bluetooth, it doesn't have a camera either. It is a Nokia 3100. Does it mean I can't use the Zumo XT ? I have been trying to read some of the topics on here too, much of what is written I don't understand - what is 'GE' for instance? There are many terms used that I don't understand that you lot obviously think nothing of. I am struggling already and I haven't got it yet.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

Hopefully you watched the whole video first before trying to follow it step by step. I can't imagine what they are spending time on regarding setup.
The URL I provided isn't a video. You can navigate it at your own pace and jump to any topic that is of particular interest. My advise is to watch the whole video and then spend some time with the "Zumo XT and Basecamp - Everything That You Need to Know" guide that I provided the URL to. Once you have an understanding of what the XT does and how it functions you will be more comfortable with it in your hands doing whatever setup you feel you need.

Be aware that there is a software product called Garmin Express. It's a management product for Garmin devices. It is not a necessity if you are using the XT solely to get you to a destination but it is needed if you intend to create routes using Garmin's Basecamp software to create routes. You don't need to be concerned with it now, other than to be aware that it exists.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Re: Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by Peobody »

Breathe easy. No phone connection is required for the XT to operate.

"GE" is Garmin Express. It is Garmin's device management software. It is not required if you are just using the XT to get you to destinations. It will be needed if you intend to use Garmin's Basecamp software to create routes (they can then be transferred to the XT for you to ride). If this is a possibility then you will want to install and use Garmin Express for all map and firmware updates to the XT (instead of letting the XT update itself via its built-in wifi) because Garmin Express is needed to install the map that is in the XT to the PC for use in Basecamp.
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

If this is a possibility then you will want to install and use Garmin Express for all map and firmware updates to the XT (instead of letting the XT update itself via its built-in wifi) because Garmin Express is needed to install the map that is in the XT to the PC for use in Basecamp.

I can see me really struggling to understand the instructions. Just this sentence has got me wondering what I have to do..... Garmin Express, does this come with the XT? Does the XT not have a map in it yet? I have seen topics about people having trouble putting maps onto their XT, but I don't really know what it is they are trying to do. I thought you just turned it on and off you went.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

KingRat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:16 pm I thought you just turned it on and off you went.
You can, if all you want to do is enter a destination and let it get you there. In your initial post in Newbies you mentioned TET routes which I interpreted to mean planning trips along the TET. I apologize if I made things seem more confusing for you.

BTW, I am assuming that the "TET" is the Trans Euro Trail. I am in the U.S. so have only seen it referenced in articles.
colirv
Subscriber
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

KingRat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:52 pm I am watching a yoo toob video on how to set up the Zumo XT. Hmmm, Bluetooth... I have never used bluetooth yet. So that is a totally new area for me aswell.
Relax - you probably won't need Bluetooth to start with!
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Sorry. Yes the TET is a route that has been arranged by people who actively check the trails are open and it is a linked up series to give riders an 'adventure'... I have wanted to do some trails for years, but can never find them on the map. I have been trying to understand the 'TET' website for years, but being a complete computer idiot I haven't found a single one yet. I have got the Zumo XT because everything is geared around 'download a gpx route'... so I am trying to find out what a gpx route is and how to 'download it'. This is all new ground for me, I don't use a computer very much, or any other technical gadgets beyond my camera - and that I still use as if I am shooting film. The magazine does anything that needs doing, I just give the pictures off the camera. I am happier using a pen and paper still - all my accounts are done with a pencil and a cash analysis book, the old fashioned way. My accountant hates me!