XT More Observations when Driving Routes.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Oop North John
Subscriber
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 52 times
Great Britain

Re: XT More Observations when Driving Routes.

Post by Oop North John »

Peobody wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:00 pm
Oop North John wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:58 am See the post above, but for my test it replicates the stupidity of the recalculated routing at the end.
This is good to know but now has me really wondering why the XT behavior changed. It appeared to correspond with 6.50. My first 5000 miles with the XT were pretty good. Behavior was predictable. Not any more. A behavior change for me was increased usage of shaping points so now I'll go back to using Via points for route control and stops. I like the idea of using a shaping point for an optional stop so that will be my only usage of shaping points in the routes of my next trip.
I'm certain it's a mapping issue as I can replicate the stupidity in Basecamp! There seems to be a point: N57° 12.202' W2° 12.579' where if you try to route through it, the GPS / PC won't, though when I look at it on my PC I don't see any problems with the road that's heading roughly on a south / north alignment and is the direction I use. A route in either direction with start points both 500 feet away both follow the bad routing.

So, probably 6.4 is ok?
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Well spotted. Yes - I can reproduce that on Basecamp. The road north from what is marked as Bristow Helicopters, up to the Cross Roads, will not plot as a road. Basecamp draws a straight line rather than following the bend - like it does when the point it is heading to is in the middle of a field.

We have a road near us that has just mysteriously acquired the same 'no through road' status on the map. I'm trapped in my own house if I follow the satnav, since the only other junction is blind !

What issue is resulting in reverting to v 6.40 ??
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:20 pm What issue is resulting in reverting to v 6.40 ??
No issue has been reported so far, just the comment from @Oop North John that it didn't fix "the stupidity of the recalculated routing at the end."
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I know that there was a suspicion raised somewhere that using Shaping Points seemed to affect the routing, that wasn't observed with Via Points. The same thing was hinted at in this thread - but that was quickly retracted when @Oop North John discovered that the reason was due entirely to a mapping error, which prevented navigation along a short stretch of road. 3 Posts back 15 Aug 2022

Something I said in this thread was picked up on as suggesting the same thing, but I disagreed with that argument.

Can anyone point me to the post concerned please ? I cannot find it now, and I wanted to be able to give it some more serious thought.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 334 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

jfheath wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:28 pm Can anyone point me to the post concerned please ? I cannot find it now, and I wanted to be able to give it some more serious thought.
I don't know exactly what post topic you are referring to but I believe I am the one pointing the biggest finger at shaping points. If that is what you are referring to, my first post about it was here : viewtopic.php?t=1826.

To be clear, my concern about shaping points stems from that fact that my frustrations with the XT have only been since v6.50 which happens to coincide with my usage of shaping points. Prior to that I used only Via points for routing (precisely placed on roads). When skipping a WP I saw the down-route recalc occur but not to the level of absurdity seen lately and never the insistence to return you back to the route the way you came instead of calculating a route to the next point.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.