Two Installs of 2023.2 on XT ??

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
mrmagloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
United States of America

Two Installs of 2023.2 on XT ??

Post by mrmagloo »

I've been updating my maps religiously for years and never had an issue. Just got done yesterday doing the 2023.2 update and everything went normally it seemed. However, when I connected the XT to Basecamp to transfer a new route, I noticed the Device/Zumo XT window showing two instances of 2023.2. The lower window for the first says d9644010a.img and the second says d9643010a.img.

I have 13.4 GB Free in the Internal storage so I'm not sure why it would have split the map? I tried to do a reinstall, and it ended up with the same result. Seems to work OK, but I did notice the option never came up to install on the PC and XT at the same. So I had to two step it.

Is anyone else noticing this? Anything to be concerned about? Thanks.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 333 times
United States of America

Re: Two Installs of 2023.2 on XT ??

Post by Peobody »

I see it too. IIRC, it has something to do with the size of the 2023.2 map file. It functions as one map but appears as two maps to Basecamp.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
lkraus
Subscriber
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 139 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

I ran into this in July: viewtopic.php?t=1875.

NT North America is now All U.S and All Canada & Mexico on the Zumo because the map is too big for the FAT32 file system, which has a maximum file size of 4 Gb. On most modern computers, it still installs as just one map for Basecamp.

Apparently the European maps have been split for quite some time. So, why didn't Garmin design the XT to use exFAT, with no file size limit?
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by ModellerOnTwoWheels »

Hi, still a newbie; bought a Zumo XT a few weeks ago, and watched a whole lot of Basecamp tutorials on YouTube.
I use the latest City Navigator Europe map, and after having read this thread I now understand why I see 2 maps in Basecamp.

My question though:
Does the Zumo, with 2 map halves installed, navigate correctly over borders between map halves?

I’m currently planning a trip from Germany to France, and it seems that France is part of the “western” half of map, and Germany part of the “eastern” half. Planning the route on Basecamp, in this case, is a royal pain in the a..

Thanks for shedding any light on this.
sussamb
Has liked: 337 times
Been liked: 366 times
Great Britain

Post by sussamb »

Yes your device will switch seamlessly between the 2. For BaseCamp use Express and install the map to your PC, that is then the complete map so easier to plan.
ModellerOnTwoWheels
Been liked: 1 time
Portugal

Post by ModellerOnTwoWheels »

sussamb wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:47 am Yes your device will switch seamlessly between the 2. For BaseCamp use Express and install the map to your PC, that is then the complete map so easier to plan.
Thanks for the tip that I followed right away. I now have one map in BC; works like a charm now. 👍🙏