My 1st experience with XT in car

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Re: My 1st experience with XT in car

Post by FrankB »

Please have a look at the voltages in the 'Developer Info: Power Source' and compare 'Ext Volts' and Batt Volts. It will tell what the Zumo receives...

viewtopic.php?t=1380&start=10
TripleThreat719
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 31 times
United States of America

Post by TripleThreat719 »

I have used the XT with the provided charging cable with the car mount, and it worked fine. Stayed on for the entire trip and never dimmed.

However, I am not a fan of folding the little rubber flap back to gain access to the Mini USB Port, as I don't want to stress that over time and have it rip off and be prone to water intrusion through that port. So, I have installed a motorcycle mount in my Excursion and my Land Rover and put a standard cigarette plug on the one in the Excursion and hard wired the one in the Land Rover to the cigarette lighter power.

That way, when I get in either vehicle all I have to do is snap the XT onto the mount and I have power. Same with all three bikes. Each one has a hard-wired dedicated motorcycle mount and I just clip in the XT and go. I never mess with cables.

In fact, with the Drive app and the Explore App on my cell phone, the only time I ever use the Mini USB plug on the back of the device is when I perform a firmware or map update.
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 107 times
Been liked: 318 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

FrankB wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:18 pm Please have a look at the voltages in the 'Developer Info: Power Source' and compare 'Ext Volts' and Batt Volts. It will tell what the Zumo receives...

viewtopic.php?t=1380&start=10
That is a great discussion. Thanks for pointing me to it.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 678 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Cables come as 'charge', 'sync', or 'charge and sync'. You probably need one that just charges. But I haven't tried this. I always buy 'charge and sync' cables. Otherwise I have to wait a really long time for the Zumo to connect to my computer - which involves a lot of cursing, trying different USB sockets etc, before I realise. I thought I had thrown them all away, but there's one that keeps jumping out of the bin and back into my USB cable box.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
JS_racer
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Post by JS_racer »

As stated, needs a 2a adapter. I use mine in the car, up to 17 hours in a day and over 1100 miles, and have zero issues, full brightness just as on the bike. My cable is a longer one that did not come with the xt. Again, no issue.
When new, I tried it on the bike with a 1a adapter, after x time, screen dimmed. It was swapped out for a 2a, zero issue after. I do have mounts and harnesses for both bikes installed.