ZumoLock v Motopumps Zumo XT - KTM 390 Adventure

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Aushiker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
New Zealand

ZumoLock v Motopumps Zumo XT - KTM 390 Adventure

Post by Aushiker »

I appreciate that this may be a long shot but does anyone have experience with a Zumolock XT or a Motopumps Garmin Zumo XT security lock with a touring screen fitted (such as a Givi etc) to a KTM 390 Adventure?

I would like to know about access to the lock mechanism with either style in combination with a screen.
mad-dawg
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Re: ZumoLock v Motopumps Zumo XT - KTM 390 Adventure

Post by mad-dawg »

This may not help.....
I had a Yamaha T700 with a touring screen and it was very difficult to get the key into the lock on Zumo lock. In the end I put some rubber spacers between the zumo lock and XT mount to move it forward about 5mm to make it possible to lock/unlock.
Was never going to happen with gloves on as the key is tiny and I have hands like shovels.
Also the square part of the key with the hole for your key ring is too small and the hole is one corner. If you have a bunch of keys on the same ring its tricky to seat the key to turn it.
I guess what i am saying is that if you have plenty of space above and forward of the existing XT mount you should be okay. if its already tight, getting the key in, level and with the prong at the right place might be a pain in the butt.

I also had a Touratech XT mount, the giant Transformer jobbie, that was also impossible to lock/unlock due to the screen/lock position.

The lock is a good idea but I think needs unrestricted access to top face.
Aushiker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 1 time
New Zealand

Post by Aushiker »

Thank you @mad-dawg. You where indeed helpful. I hadn't for example considered the size of the key etc.

I am thinking I will wait till my screen comes from China and then revisit the question.

Hopefully no one nicks the Zumo in the meantime :)
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

The XT can be used in Portrait mode. In that way the mount would be rotated 90 deg. So would the lock be.
Maybe you dont like portrait mode, or it would introduce other problems mounting. But maybe its an option.

There are even products that allow turning, but not sure if that fits your bike.

https://www.zumolock.com/index.php/en/zumotwist