How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Mikul
Has liked: 7 times
Poland

How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Post by Mikul »

Hello,
I have a question, if, and where can I find a setting in XT that will show on the route (blue point?) Shaping Point during navigation?
What I mean is that the Shaping Points created in the MRA were not visible and were next to the road (on Garmin maps) so the XT forced me to leave the highway to pass them and get back on the road again. I didn't see them on the route line to ignore them, so I had a problem a few times in Greece :(
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Re: How to see shaping point on map while navigating

Post by FrankB »

I cant remember having to setup anything. Maybe you find something here: app.php/ZXT-P87

This is how they look on my XT
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (183.93 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (162.08 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

FrankB thank you very much for this information!
Unfortunately my XT is far away from me now and I can't check it.
I was looking for this setting while on tour in Europe in September and I did not find it. Driving with the routes made in MRA was a horror.
Even though I used HERE maps for planning, many times the points (that I couldn't see) were off the road and Zumo dragged me off the road, once even in Albania the MRA marked a point on a half-collapsed bridge next to the route, Zumo told me to drive on it, I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to turn back from such a bridge BMW K1600 with a passenger and luggage, weighing over 500 kg, and for that reason, I even suspended my MRA membership.
If I had seen these points on the route line, I would not have driven down, I would have just kept going straight.
I will add that there were actually false points in each of the countries, Greece. Macedonia, Montenegro, maybe not only in Serbia.
In September, ZUMO did 5000 kilometers with me around southern Europe, it was great :)
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

You're welcome. What you describe is exactly why I am hesitating to start using MRA. I still prefer Basecamp with the same maps (City Navigator) as the XT. Although for planning a trip I do have a look at OpenStreet Map. But I always recalculate with City Navigator before sending it to the XT.
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

Sure, I've been using Basecamp for planning for many years, but in my travels, often the next stage is on the road, and I don't have Basecamp there, or time for long planning.
So far, the next stage has always been navigation, be it BMW navigator or now Zumo. Back then I had no such problems, except that he didn't always want to take me the way I wanted to go.
I am an old Garmin user, I have a whole drawer of them :) from tourist devices, Fenix ​​to motorcycle devices. I still have and often use Basecamp, I wanted to go with the progress, and it didn't work out for me :)
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

And one more thing, I also calculate these routes from MRA, after importing from DRIVE, go to APlication, trip planning, saved trips.
If I had visible blue shaping points, I wouldn't ride on broken bridges if I saw that he wanted to do it.
Last edited by Mikul on Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

I see now how you work, and being 'on the road', it makes sense to use MRA.

Using the method below you may save yourself some trouble.
. Once the route/trip is loaded on the XT. (Maybe the evening before you actually drive it)
. Open the trip in the trip planner
. Hit the spanner. (wrench)
. Click on 'View turns'
. Look for 'Make a U Turn'. (This is always questionable)
. Click on it to make the map on the right visible.
. And there you see the offending shaping point.

This is something that actually happened to me. I'm sure you will not find all points in error, but it can be worth the trouble checking it before hand.
61508.png
61508.png (125.66 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
62377.png
62377.png (54.4 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
66055.png
66055.png (81.1 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
69481.png
69481.png (278.42 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

Thank you very much!
Great idea with the U-Turn check, I hadn't thought of that! As soon as I bring the XT from the winter motorcycle garage, I will check these old routes under "Make a U Turn".
Thank you very much Frank again, it cost you a lot of work, screens and, I think you even changed the language to English! Thanks a lot!
Mikul
Poland

Post by Mikul »

The decision has been made, I get in the car and go for navigation. I need to check out the U-turn on those tours right now
FrankB
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

You're Welcome.
If I believe to know something about the subject, I dont mind sharing. I get a lot of info from this site, and like to return.
Mikul wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 am I think you even changed the language to English! Thanks a lot!
Believe it or not,I usually have set up my devices, and Windows, in English for 2 reasons.
- If I google I will get more hits.
- Sometimes the Dutch translations are really bad.