Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
fatfeet
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: how to carry out factory reset Zumo XT

Post by fatfeet »

the biggest issue for me is,
If I have tracks in the apps>track menu that I want to use, to either show under the route I am using or create a track/trip, and explore manages to connect I would then have to disable it (hidden menu) however, following this procedure all the tracks disappear from the tracks menu, even if I have imported the tracks using basecamp.

once I have done all my exporting and importing in readiness for my tour, I have to make sure that "never the twain shall meet"

this why I originally asked how to do a full reset. I would like to hope that explore would not activate if I did not set up an account.
to achieve, we must first attempt
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 679 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok - I'll take another look at this. Clearly my instructions don't work in your situation. I need to reproduce your situation to find out why.

Thanks for the detailed description. That is really helpful.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

This is how I understand it.

XT connects to Garmin Drive app (Bluetooth)
Garmin Drive app connects to Garmin Explore (via internet, in the cloud)

If you setup the connection from the XT to Garmin Drive App, and do NOT enable Explore it will not re-enable Explore. Sorry I do not have an English screenshot, but this is the page you have to skip, by pressing 'Maybe Later'. ('Misschien later' translates to 'Maybe later', it could be translated differently)
explore.jpg
explore.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Step 1:
Reset the XT by one of the methods already described.

Step 2:
'Forget', or may be even better uninstall the App, followed by a re-install.
When 'pairing' the Xt with the Drive App. Press 'Maybe later'.

Worked for me.
lkraus
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

jfheath wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:21 am... If you do not do this immediately, the XT will have chance to start talking to your phone and it will reactivate some of Explore's features... A soon as you have exited the System screen get it turned off. If you do not, the XT will find a connection and reinstate the Explore facility. It may take a half a minute before it does this (unannounced), but it may take only a few seconds...
I don't know if this makes any difference, but I have never connected my XT to my wifi system. The thought that Garmin could update my software without me knowing about it, bothers me a bit.
I think wifi is only used for map and firmware updates. Everything else seems to rely on the Bluetooth connection, transferring data through the phone. So temporarily turning off Bluetooth on the XT or your phone will prevent any possibility of Explore re-establishing itself before you finish disabling it.
Last edited by jfheath on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ] for the quote
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

I think wifi is only used for map and firmware updates. Everything else seems to rely on the Bluetooth connection, transferring data through the phone. So temporarily turning off Bluetooth on the XT or your phone will prevent any possibility of Explore re-establishing itself before you finish disabling it.
hi, yes I wrote this in one of my earlier posts, that is the only way to stop it activating, but if I forget and turn on bluetooth on iPad and happen have my XT nearby, it will connect and mess everything up.
jfheath
Has liked: 319 times
Been liked: 679 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Tried again last night.

Still I couldn't get it to reconnect after going through my sequence to disable Garmin Explore. Mine is an Android phone.

I tried with my ipad, and certainly the connection between ios and Garmin Drive is quite different. But I don't have a SIM card in the ipad, so couldn't complete the test. But that is the only thing that I can think would make the difference. Certainly the ios connections between Garmin Drive and the XT is different from the Android.

Whatever, we have two different ways - one of which will work depending on circumstances !

I've edit pages 56 and 84 of the Zumo XT pages to reflect this information from @fatfeet - I'll verify it as soon as I am able.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes)

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

here is an update, in this original thread I asked how to do a full factory reset, and that question was answered, so thanks to all for the input,.

this thread also brought up the issues I was having with explore automatically connecting to my XT. there was lots of advice and ideas, I followed the information from @jfheath to the letter, but doing this did not solve the issue, below
First Getting rid of the Explore connection. The Link that dan provided to my series of pages on the XT WILL wrok - but you have to do all of it.
Select: Home Screen -> View Map -> Click Speed Button -> Hold Speedo for 10 secs.
This opens up the system Diagnostic Page. Be careful what you do in here!
Scroll down for Developer Tests and Tools -> Click
Scroll down to near the bottom Reset Explore Database -> Click.
Nothing seems to happen. Back out using the return button until you get to the Home page.
Immediately turn the XT completely off - hold the power button in until the screen asks if you want to switch it off.
Yes you do. Then restart.
If you do not do this immediately, the XT will have chance to start talking to your phone and it will reactivate some of Explore's features.
Select Where To -> Explore and check that you get the screen indicating that you are not connected to your Explore account.
I think this issue has now been resolved, here is how I did it.
Any of these four:
Cold Power off. Power on - wait for first copyright screen (after Garmin screens). Hold lower right for 10 seconds. Erase User Data dialog box is displayed.
Settings->Device->Reset->Reset Settings (or Delete Data and Reset Settings).
Settings ->3 Bar Menu -> Restore (to restore all settings to their default values)
View Map->Speed Button->Speed Circle (hold for 10 seconds until screen changes)->Clear all User Data
I completed a full reset using option 2 above. this reset the XT back to factory settings, although this did delete my own setting in the themes menu, which I added to have the track wider than the default size, in order for it to stand out more when on screen at the same time as routes, this was easily resolved by copying from my computer.

I then uninstalled the drive app from my iPad, I had done this a few times previously, but decided to do it again and followed the instructions from @FrankB below
XT connects to Garmin Drive app (Bluetooth)
Garmin Drive app connects to Garmin Explore (via internet, in the cloud)

If you setup the connection from the XT to Garmin Drive App, and do NOT enable Explore it will not re-enable Explore. Sorry I do not have an English screenshot, but this is the page you have to skip, by pressing 'Maybe Later'. ('Misschien later' translates to 'Maybe later', it could be translated differently)
explore.jpg
explore.jpg (95.65 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Step 1:
Reset the XT by one of the methods already described.

Step 2:
'Forget', or may be even better uninstall the App, followed by a re-install.
When 'pairing' the Xt with the Drive App. Press 'Maybe later'.
to check if it had worked, I sent routes to my iPad using drive app multiple times, so obviously its connected via bluetooth, previously this would have definitely activated explore, also wifi was enabled on my iPad, but I don't have it enabled on my XT.

Eureka!!! there is now no issue, explore does not activate I have kept my XT live "so to speak" next to the iPad and explore has not activated.

so whether it was the full reset or the drive app uninstall or a mixture of both, it seems to have cured the issue I had.
so a big thanks to all that added to this thread and I am sure it will help others out
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

sorry this should have been in the quote from @FrankB
explore.jpg
explore.jpg (111.8 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
FrankB
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 130 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for posting the result. What is exactly the English translation for 'Misschien later'? Is it really: 'Maybe later' or 'Not now' ?
I think you need to do both, reset the XT, and reinstall the Garmin Drive App. Come to think of it, if you happen to have more devices where the Garmin Drive App is installed, you have to do it on all devices.
fatfeet
Great Britain

Post by fatfeet »

FrankB wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:00 pm Thanks for posting the result. What is exactly the English translation for 'Misschien later'? Is it really: 'Maybe later' or 'Not now' ?
I think you need to do both, reset the XT, and reinstall the Garmin Drive App. Come to think of it, if you happen to have more devices where the Garmin Drive App is installed, you have to do it on all devices.
hi @FrankB the translation is maybe later, I will have to ensure that I do not click the install by mistake in the future when it asks.

I have deleted the drive app from my phone and I am not going to reinstall it, will stay on my iPad, as I use that to transfer files from MRA.

so we got there in the end.