How to kill the music bar

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 89 times
United States of America

How to kill the music bar

Post by danham »

This was driving me nuts. Every time I powered up or woke up the XT, a black bar across the bottom would tell me what song was playing (but paused) on my phone. I had to hit the X each time to get it out of the way. Nothing against the music itself; the song displayed was one I had been listening to on my phone, but I don't want music while riding and especially don't want that black bar covering up important information on the screen until I dismiss it.

The fix is easy. Make sure there are no MP3 files on the XT. When the bar pops up, tap its left window, which allows you to change source. Change from your phone to the menu choice MP3. Problem solved.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
MotoToph
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Re: How to kill the music bar

Post by MotoToph »

Interesting. The bar automatically goes away on mine.
ZUMO XT
K1600GT
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 314 times
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

It automatically show this from the phone whenever music is enabled in the bluetooth connection to the phone. If you want to disable it, on the XT go to Settings > Wireless Networks > Tap the phone item > untick the Media Audio option.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
danham
United States of America

Post by danham »

Peobody wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:59 pm It automatically show this from the phone whenever music is enabled in the bluetooth connection to the phone. If you want to disable it, on the XT go to Settings > Wireless Networks > Tap the phone item > untick the Media Audio option.
I haven't finished testing all of this, but that method appears to kill my radar alerts, which the app on the phone must be treating as "media." It's hard work having fun. ;)

-dan
rbentnail
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 206 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

Peobody wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:59 pm It automatically show this from the phone whenever music is enabled in the bluetooth connection to the phone. If you want to disable it, on the XT go to Settings > Wireless Networks > Tap the phone item > untick the Media Audio option.
I have zero music on my phone. I do have music on the XT SD card but it is not playing. Every time I turn on the XT this music bar shows up. I touch X to close it. A few minutes later it pops up again, and again I touch X to close it. This repeats 2, 3, sometimes 4 times over the next 5-10 minutes then finally quits. Until I turn off the XT, then I go thru all of this again next time I turn it on.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
danham
United States of America

Post by danham »

rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:58 pm
I have zero music on my phone. I do have music on the XT SD card but it is not playing. Every time I turn on the XT this music bar shows up. I touch X to close it. A few minutes later it pops up again, and again I touch X to close it. This repeats 2, 3, sometimes 4 times over the next 5-10 minutes then finally quits. Until I turn off the XT, then I go thru all of this again next time I turn it on.
Have you tried changing the source by tapping the left portion of the bar and selecting your XT, which has no MP3s on it?

-dan
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

danham wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:35 pm
rbentnail wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:58 pm
Have you tried changing the source by tapping the left portion of the bar and selecting your XT, which has no MP3s on it?

-dan
I don't have the option to choose XT. I have 2 choices in the "Select Source" page: MP3 or Bluetooth. Choose MP3 and I get the music bar behavior previously described. Choose Bluetooth and I repeatedly get a popup asking if I want to connect to the Bluetooth audio device (my phone) which btw is already connected. I can see the Garmin Drive app symbol on both.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
danham
United States of America

Post by danham »

Russ,

I'd suggest the next step in diagnosis: remove the SD card and see if the XT is offered as a source. If no, something ain't right. If yes, try selecting it and test for the popup behavior. My guess is the XT knows there are MP3s on the card, so it ignores the XT as a choice. I realize this isn't how you want to end up, with no music at all, but it may help diagnose.

PS: where in NC are you? I have a riding pal in Durham and we get together at least once a year for some great NC/TN mountain riding.

-dan
rbentnail
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

danham wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:00 pm Russ,

I'd suggest the next step in diagnosis: remove the SD card and see if the XT is offered as a source. If no, something ain't right. If yes, try selecting it and test for the popup behavior. My guess is the XT knows there are MP3s on the card, so it ignores the XT as a choice. I realize this isn't how you want to end up, with no music at all, but it may help diagnose.

PS: where in NC are you? I have a riding pal in Durham and we get together at least once a year for some great NC/TN mountain riding.

-dan
Thing is, unless I'm using audio turn instructions (which is about twice per year) I'm not using the XT to play music! As such the Master Volume is almost always muted- no turns, no warnings, no audio, no button presses- nothing.

The option of removing the SD card is a deal breaker for me. All my routes are stored there so not having it in is for me just like not having a gps.

I'm about an hour west southwest of Durham outside of Asheboro. When folks come around I usually take them northwest from here into Virginia around Stuart, Indian Valley, and Ferrum. Been there yet? Less crowded.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
danham
United States of America

Post by danham »

Russ,

I wasn't clear. My idea is to remove the SD card just long enough to see if that "cures" the bar popup issue by letting you select the XT, which has no MP3s on it. If that works, then you could put the card back in -- I also store my routes and some Favorites there, so agree it isn't optional -- and decide whether to remove MP3s from it.

As for VA, I've been through Meadows of Dan and Ferrum, but need to do some exploring in those areas. Hoping to do a bunch of WV exploring in June.

-dan