when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Re: when importing route prepared with Basecamp, XT recalculates

Post by FrankB »

chris7444 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:25 pm Interestingly enough if I disable all maps in myapps, my example route (the one with one searched waypoint/shaping point) is loaded in a fraction of second. I re-enabled the maps and voilà. 8-) Not sure if this is a good idea though
That is an interesting idea. I would check if the route starts with the simulator. Goto to Settings/Navigation and check 'GPS Simulator'. Next select the route and start it with 'Closest Entry Point'. In the past I have found that routes can not be started if they where not calculated for the currently active map. I would receive an error message 'Can not calculate the route', or even get a totally different route.
sussamb wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 am Do you keep all maps selected then? If they overlap this isn't a good idea and can cause numerous issues. Perhaps you've found the cause of your problem.
I can confirm that the 'Calculate.gpx' that Chris posted earlier takes a long time to calculate. I did not have multiple maps selected.

@chris7444
Please test the attached gpx file. Can you confirm that it loads fast?

This is the file where I have modified 'Subclass' values. In my opinion Garmin (Probably the XT) does not handle this field well. In the past I have found that Via/Shaping points get renamed upon loading, and now there is this issue.
In Basecamp there is no easy way of changing the field. It depends on how you create the Way/Via/Shaping Point As @jfheath explained. That is why I modify the GPX with an external program. I think Garmin should react because we can not expect normal users to execute External programs. But apparently the info is not getting thru.

Technical details.

Only the Subclasses following directly <gpxx:RoutePointExtension>, marked in bold, should be changed into

<gpxx:Subclass>000000000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</gpxx:Subclass>

<rtept lat="45.951433181762695" lon="5.830028057098389">
<time>2023-02-26T21:37:02Z</time>
<name>Route du Pont Neuf</name>
<sym>Waypoint</sym>
<extensions>
<trp:ViaPoint>
<trp:CalculationMode>FasterTime</trp:CalculationMode>
<trp:ElevationMode>Standard</trp:ElevationMode>
</trp:ViaPoint>
<gpxx:RoutePointExtension>
<gpxx:Subclass>0000F9DACE017D2019060F20040034AD5325</gpxx:Subclass>
<gpxx:rpt lat="45.951433181762695" lon="5.830028057098389">
<gpxx:Subclass>0300F9DACE01E5162500211600002B000000</gpxx:Subclass>
</gpxx:rpt>
Attachments
Calculate_fast.gpx
(507.74 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Last edited by FrankB on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfheath
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 744 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I'm not so sure that this is the answer. I believe that it is taking a long time to calculate, because it is calculating the route itself, rather than accepting the route that Basecamp has produced with its 'ghost points'. This is usually a sign that there is something different in the data that was used to draw the maps on Basecamp and the data that is being used in the Zumo. Often this is the map name. In this case it is something different.

It definitely has something to do with the three waypoints in your route, because if you replace them with other waypoints, the route imports instantly.

It has nothing to do with other loaded maps, because your route took 2 minutes to import on my XT and I have no other maps on there to cause any conflict. Although as @Stu stated - having two navigable maps - that cover the same area - selected at the same time is definitely a problem in other situations - like it will route you across ploughed fields, cliff edges and the like.

I have used points from the Garmin database successsfully, but so far have not used the search feature to locate them. That will happen today sometime.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
chris7444
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 4 times
France

Post by chris7444 »

sussamb wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 am Do you keep all maps selected then? If they overlap this isn't a good idea and can cause numerous issues. Perhaps you've found the cause of your problem.
On my side I only have the City Navigator Europe NTU maps ( North + South) enabled + the other stuff shipping standard with the ZÜmo. The "other stuff" I understand (from you actually) is non-routable material and should not be a problem. That being said ;) I have also tried with only the CN Europe NTU North and South maps enabled. Same result (calculating)

maps enabled.jpg
maps enabled.jpg (257.01 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Sorry Chris - I was answering Frank, and anyone else looking in subsequently - I know that OEM maps are not the issue with your set up - you sent me the screen shots. It was one of the first things that you checked out.

In fact for everyone else not aware of our previous conversations - as far as I can tell there in absolutley nothing wron with how your XT or your route is set up. All of the possibilities that I wondered about have been tested and eliminated as suspect.

What we do know is that for some reason, the 3 waypoints that you have placed in your route are causing the issue. We know this becasue if you replace those waypoints with flag waypoints inserted with the flag tool, then the route imports in the blink of an eye.

We also know that if you insert waypoints that appear as Icons on the map (ie from the Garmin Database) and remove the original waypoints, then they route imports in the blink of an eye.

I have established that there is some field in the waypoints that you have used that Basecamp does not recognise, but those fields are still being transferred to the XT. It might be these fields that are causing the problem. They do not exist in every database waypoint.

What I cannot test yet is a search of the database for a waypoint. I need to reinstall Basecamap, and that is what I am about to do.

Wish me luck. I may be some time. I'll take a backup of my registry, I think !!
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

FrankB wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:44 am (redacted)

@chris7444
Please test the attached gpx file. Can you confirm that it loads fast?

This is the file where I have modified 'Subclass' values. In my opinion Garmin (Probably the XT) does not handle this field well. In the past I have found that Via/Shaping points get renamed upon loading, and now there is this issue.
In Basecamp there is no easy way of changing the field. It depends on how you create the Way/Via/Shaping Point As @jfheath explained. That is why I modify the GPX with an external program. I think Garmin should react because we can not expect normal users to execute External programs. But apparently the info is not getting thru.

(redacted)
Hi Frank

- if I import your GPX file into Basecamp then the modified route will NOT be loaded fast (same as always ~1mn50s/2mns)
- If I copy your modified GPX directly on the GPS (with the explorer) the modified route will load fast.
FrankB
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 132 times
Netherlands

Post by FrankB »

Thanks for testing and reporting back Chris. It confirms what I have found.
chris7444 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 pm - if I import your GPX file into Basecamp then the modified route will NOT be loaded fast (same as always ~1mn50s/2mns)
I assume that you then send the file in Basecamp via USB? That is something I did not test.
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

FrankB wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:44 pm Thanks for testing and reporting back Chris. It confirms what I have found.
chris7444 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 pm - if I import your GPX file into Basecamp then the modified route will NOT be loaded fast (same as always ~1mn50s/2mns)
I assume that you then send the file in Basecamp via USB? That is something I did not test.
yes. GPS connected to the PC with USB. Then your file copied to the XT using the file explorer .

correction:
The first time, I imported your GPX in Basecamp then used Basecamp / "Send to Device" to copy it to the SD card. Using this method your GPX file is not loading any faster than the original one (~2mns)

The second time I copied your GPX file on the GPS without importing it into Basecamp (using the file explorer) like in the picture below . In this case the route is imported in less than 1 or 2 seconds
direct copy.png
direct copy.png (16.55 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

jfheath wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:19 pm What I cannot test yet is a search of the database for a waypoint. I need to reinstall Basecamap, and that is what I am about to do.

Wish me luck. I may be some time. I'll take a backup of my registry, I think !!
I had the same problem with the search tool causing basecamp to crash. And recovering from it was difficult (re-installing Basecamp and deleting maps on the PC was not enough). (I had to use Garmin Express at some point. I didn't take note of all the steps, it was just ... complicated)

But this is off-topic
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Ok. Major success.

I don't know what I have done to fix this problem, but my Basecamp was crashing out whenever I searched for the Waypoints that Chris had put into his route. These were :
Nonglard
Cold de la Chambotte
Chanaz

I had previously proved that deleting these and replacing them with some other waypoints create dby me with the flag tool resulted in the XT importing the route in a flash.

But BAsecamp crashed every time I tried to use the search tool.

So I uninstalled Basecamp.

I then went trhough the registry and deleted every reference to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp"
path in any registry key. This was tedious and must have taken about an hour. I don't know. I didn't time it.
But get to the point where you lose the will to live, and then keep going for twice as long again.

I don't know if it was necessary - 'cos the reinstall was going to put them back again. But in doing this I came across reference to some previously installed OSM maps. So I think that was useful. Those links went.

Having completed that, I restarted the computer. Twice.

I then reinstalled Basecamp, checked that it worked, closed it down and restarted the computer.

I deleted all of the favourites, routes and history from the XT, and I updated that.

I updated Express - becasue while I was doing the registry stuff, Garmin had some new updates to install. Text translations and Cyclopes. So I installed those.

I then loaded BAsecamp and started playing with the search feature. Dismay as Basecamp crashed out - a few times. I tried searching for place in the UK. No problem.

I then realised that my database had about 12 copies of each of Chris's Waypoints - that I had been using for testing. (The problem being because if you move a waypoint on the map, it relocates it for every route that you have used it in - so I made sure that I created duplicates every time I duplicated the route for a new test.

So I got rid of all of those, and restarted Basecamp.
For the first time ever - the Basecamp map was showing the relief shading of the hills. Perhaps because on the grand scale of things, the UK doesn't have very high ground. 4400 ft and that's as high as it gets. But I'm pretty sure this has never shown itself before.

I Use Express and reinstalled the 2023.20 maps to my computer. It took less than a minute.

Then I reloaded Chris's route from the copy that he sent me, and deleted his waypoitns named above.
Then searched for each of them in turn. Found each on, clicked the point - accepted the option to create a waypoint at the selected point, and observed each of the three points appear in the lower left pane.

Then added all 3 to the route and used the route properties dialogue to move them into the correct position.

Plugged in the XT, transferred the route and imported it. Bingo. Blink of an eye.

The question is - which of the things that I did made Basecamp and the route points behave themselves ?

Maybe the removal of the old OSM maps ??
Certainly the reinstall of the maps to the computer (although I had updated the maps recently) ??
Getting rid of all of the references to those points in the database before reinstalling the maps ??

I suspect that editing the registry was unnecessary.
Maybe a fresh reinstall of BAsecamp, restart and then a fresh install of the new maps was all that was needed.

I was surprised to find that my database was intact, and that Basecamp found it OK.

So Search for Waypoints do not create the problem. But these searched for waypoints certainly did. On two different computers, on two different XTs. I wonder if the details in the gpx file for these waypoints are the same. (ie Chris's originals and my new ones).

chris7444
France

Post by chris7444 »

jfheath wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:55 pm Ok. Major success.

(redacted)
For the first time ever - the Basecamp map was showing the relief shading of the hills.

(redacted)
Can you please send a screenshot ? I cannot see the hills (but thru my window). Which map is selected in your Basecamp ? City Navigator Europe NTU or one of the TopoActive PowerSport (which I never use)

BAsed on your findings, I tried to use a new user database (Edit Options, General, Database) but it does not help. I guess I will have to make an extensive cleanup as well

As explained earlier I used to have an OSM map installed in the past and decided to delete it because I had this crash happening when searching too. Apparently there is something left on the PC that causes this undue calculation issue