Trying to understand XT setup.

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
KingRat
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 8 times
Great Britain

Re: Trying to understand XT setup.

Post by KingRat »

Thank you JF Heath - when you say you use it at home, how do you plug it in? Is there a mains adapter you use? I have a cigarette lighter socket one for the car. I haven't got the bike wired up yet, I can't find where I put the plug for the end of the wire!
jfheath
Has liked: 356 times
Been liked: 757 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

I do have a couple of Garmin adaptors that plug into the wall - I think they were provided with the Z500 and Z660. My current pair of Zumos - some adaptors will work with but they are probably better if they give out 2Amps. Those early Garmin units are just 1A.

I have some mains 13A wall sockets that also have USB charging sockets located above the mains socket - rated at 2.1A. They are really handy for lots of things so I use those most of all with the Zumos. But if you have a USB cable that fits, you can buy sockets for USB charging from your supermarket. Just check that they give out 2A
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

That would be handy, I could then have the thing beside me instead of running out to the car trying to remember what I have just read or seen!
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

Re keyboard layout. I've just added something here - to describe how to set up the 590/595 and XT to enable you to select either a full QWERTY keyboard or a Large button half keyboard layout.

viewtopic.php?t=2038
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Interesting outcome.
Following your instructions I get the full keyboard, but with some letters greyed out.

I have bought an AA 2023 Road Atlas! :mrgreen:
jfheath
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

An AA road atlas is always a good one to have. I think that they use OS mapping. I always have an A5 sized one in the top box. You can enter a route on the satnav, but to plan one, you really need a map.

Re the greyed out buttons. When entering a post code, the keys are greyed out if they cannot be used to create a valid postcode. I just looked at my link above. My description doesn't match the image. In the image that I posted, I had typed 'BD'. The next key has to be a digit for a valid postcode, so all of the letters are greyed out and cannot be pressed.

I'll correct that post when I get the chance.

Tigcraft
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Tigcraft »

This is the perfect three for me as I’m a dinosaur 🦖 and there’s plenty of reference to things. I’ve only posted this as a marker so I remember to find it! 🤣🤣🤣
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Back again. I was working away and I managed to use the XT to find the two destinations, the work site and my accommodation. Just putting in the post code though. Then used 'history' to find them each time. I have not got to the stage of being able to save a spot yet, so I can go back to it. I have been given a list of instructions on how to put 2 postcodes in, to create a 2 point route - it is written down as a list, so I can refer to it. That is as far as I have got with the thing. It is very, very complicated.
rbentnail
Subscriber
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 220 times
United States of America

Post by rbentnail »

KingRat wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:43 am I have not got to the stage of being able to save a spot yet, so I can go back to it.
When you go somewhere that you to return to sometime, touch the vehicle icon. It will save and you can name that spot whatever you want it to be. It becomes a Favourite/Saved Place.
Russ B. Zumo 595 & XT
2007 & 2013 USA Yamaha FJR1300A
KingRat
Great Britain

Post by KingRat »

Thank you, I shall try that. Seems easy enough when you know how to do it.