Garmin Express update error

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
ib12
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Garmin Express update error

Post by ib12 »

Have only had my Garmin a few weeks and as well as having charging problems on the auto mount I am getting error when installing update in Express. The device shows that everything is up to date but when connecting to GE it says update available. The update in question is Cyclops and it won't update and get this error message. Anyone else have this problem. This is a new device as I had my other stolen along with the bike so am finding it very frustrating with the problems I'm having.
simoncrewe
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Express update error

Post by simoncrewe »

Not sure if you are aware of this, Cyclops will 'only' update through Express & not via wifi. So, it is correct that the unit will show no updates & Express will. show an update, albeit for Cyclops.

I occasionally get errors during updates, but very, very infrequently. I just keep trying until it goes through.

Have you checked to see if you have the latest version of Express 7.16.3.0, I believe this version came out sometime last week.

Good luck.
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

I'm aware of the wifi issue but I was using GE and I have the latest version. I'm not sure if its not due to a connection problem as the device will only charge via USB and not the mount. In the diagnostic window when connected to USB it says its connection Garmin mount and the USB section says no cable detected. It all seems odd.
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Will the device charge via the motorcycle mount?

As I am sure you are aware, the car mount is just a plastic suction mount with no power, power is supplied via the usb port from the cigar lighter lead.

Some people are finding that from 'new' their units are requiring a good overnight charge from a > 2 amp charger.

Good news is the in the UK the units have a 2 year warranty from Garmin.

Please post up how you get on, it may well help others & Good luck.
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

It's the motorcycle mount it won't charge from.
simoncrewe
Great Britain

Post by simoncrewe »

Have you checked that you have 12 volts going to the lead & 5 volts at the pins where it connects to the XT?
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

Yes 12v and 5.14v at pin.
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

When attached to mount it powers up but goes straight to battery mode not charge mode.
danham
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 91 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

ib12 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:04 pm When attached to mount it powers up but goes straight to battery mode not charge mode.

Always risky to diagnose from far away, but the fact that it powers up suggests that the problem is not with the mount or the contacts, but with the GPS itself. Have you tried a full factory reset?

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
ib12
Great Britain

Post by ib12 »

I've done a reset from the delete data/reset screen, but don't know whether this is a factory reset.