Zumo XT won't power from switched source

Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Gunslinger4u
Been liked: 1 time
United States of America

Re: Zumo XT won't power from switched source

Post by Gunslinger4u »

Grabcon wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:16 pm If it works directly from the battery and not from your source I am at a loss. Unless the hot and negative are reversed. IDK
That's possible, and I don't recall explicitly testing for that! They are very definitively color coded as red and black/red wires to the aux plug. It would not be the first time that Victory reverse color coded something.... I seem to recall an earlier Vegas based bikes that had the turn signal wires reversed! Okay, so how do I test polarity?
Gunslinger4u
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger4u »

Polarity is indeed reversed on that plug! Wow! Now, it just seems a bit flaky. It notices that I turn the bike on, and the display turns on, then it switches to just using the internal battery on the XT..... I've seen others experience this in other forums.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

Well congrats you got one issue solved. As far as it going to battery I have not experienced that. I would connect directly to your battery and see if you get the same result.
Gunslinger4u
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger4u »

The switched source may come from some sort of controller, as there is a buzzing/clicking whenever I have the garmin power leads in the plug, and the XT sees momentary power to turn on, but then doesn't recognize anything afterwards. I'm guessing that while the voltage remains up, amps drop to zero for some reason if it doesn't see a load. Need to find another switched power source. Ugh. What a nightmare.
Grabcon
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by Grabcon »

I have seen others that wanted switched power, tie in to their headlight or taillight as long as it meets the voltage and amp requirement.
Gunslinger4u
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger4u »

Just as a follow up, I'm guessing that the built in plug under the front fairing, that is intended for the optional OEM fog/driving lights, comes off of some sort of ballast that messes with the current delivery, even though it is a switched, 12V power source.

So... I temporarily unplugged my Powerlet for heated gear, from the rear of the center console, and used that switched (ACCessory) plug for the GPS. Works like a charm! I have a new L plug on order, and when it arrives, I will simply combine the GPS wires into the new pins and plug, and be able to use that switched plug for both heated gear, and the GPS.

Thank you to everyone who added insight to my endeavor!

David

PS. Again, I will say that it should go WITHOUT saying, why most of us prefer to use switched ACC power for our GPS units. To borrow from an expression, if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.
Fxwheels
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
United States of America

Post by Fxwheels »

Gunslinger4u wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:31 pmif I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.
Sorry to sway a bit off topic, but since you mentioned it, I always questioned this expression. Either you're (not you specifically) a bad explainer, or they're too dumb...
Or another one: Have a cake and eat it too.. What is the cake than for? :)
Sorry, just couldn't help it :)
Gunslinger4u
United States of America

Post by Gunslinger4u »

Fxwheels wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:58 pm
Gunslinger4u wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:31 pmif I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.
Sorry to sway a bit off topic, but since you mentioned it, I always questioned this expression. Either you're (not you specifically) a bad explainer, or they're too dumb...
Or another one: Have a cake and eat it too.. What is the cake than for? :)
Sorry, just couldn't help it :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: