New version

For any questions and tips and tricks on how to use Basecamp for PC then please post in this section.
danham
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Re: New version

Post by danham »

jfheath wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:59 am Apparently, (I don't know), the message appears and then it connect. But what it does with the data when you try to send it from BC, I wouldn't know. Nor do I want to find out.
For what it's worth (not much, I fear), the zumo 660 is also listed as not compatible with BC. I have been using a 660 with BC for years until I got my XT and yes, on occasion it would cause problems, but in general, with careful checking of a route on the 660 before setting out and depending on it in the field, it worked OK.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
jfheath
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 754 times
Great Britain

Post by jfheath »

danham wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:09 am For what it's worth (not much, I fear), the zumo 660 is also listed as not compatible with BC. I have been using a 660 with BC for years until I got my XT and yes, on occasion it would cause problems, but in general, with careful checking of a route on the 660 before setting out and depending on it in the field, it worked OK.
Yes it does work, but can (as admitted at he time by Garmin) produce some weird navigation errors.

One issue might be to do with Basecamp, the 660 used 'Via Points' - but these are not the same type of Via Points that the 590 and later Zumos used. They were more like the Shaping Points. Garmin 're-purposed' term Via Point for use with the Zumos that have the Trip Planner App. I never had my 660 and familiarity with Basecamp at the same time, so I never found out.

I was the other way about - I hated Basecamp when it first came out - there was a lot to hate about it, and I continued to use Mapsource with my 590. Of course that didn't know about alerting Via points and non-alerting Shaping Points , and I was forced to switch. Fortunately Garmin put a lot of effort into getting it right. They didn't quite make it, but what bugs remain are trivial and BC is (still) far superior for the 590/595 and related Zumos than most other things around. Including Garmin's Explore and Tread. Any planning tool that doesn't have a computer version is going to lose out as far as I am concerned. I have a smartphone, I have an iPad - neither give me the accuracy that I need short of grinding my fingers down to something more pointy.

I don't know what happens with route points that are Vias and Shaping when the 660 receives them - does it just ignore them, or do you only use Shaping Points - or does it trat all points as the same type. I am just curious.

If ever I have the cash to spare and someone is getting rid of a working 660.....I'd have it back.
Have owned Zumo 550, 660 == Now have Zumo XT2, XT, 595, 590, Headache
Use Basecamp (mainly), MyRouteApp (sometimes), Competent with Tread for XT2, Can use Explore for XT - but it offers nothing that I want !

Links: Zumo 590/5 & BC . . . Zumo XT & BC
danham
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 94 times
United States of America

Post by danham »

If I recall correctly, my 660 would treat Vias and shaping points the same, meaning they were not only announced, but also caused approach warnings and a follow-up instruction such as "Turn right (if it thought the point was at an address) and continue on Main Street." Really annoying. I used to turn off audio and just watch the stripe.

I'd sell you my 660 at a bargain price, but getting it to you might erase the bargain and I'd have to admit that I replaced it in part because the last map update refused to install all of the US (yes I have an SD card) no matter what I tried.

-dan
Zumo XT, 660, nuvi 760 and many retired units dating back to the GPS III+
2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
Greg
Great Britain

Post by Greg »

Hi just joined the group but have been lurking for a long time, however to "jfhealth" I have a working 660 make me an offer and its yours contact me if you decide you want it
Cheers Greg