Having Garmin zumo XT problems? there is loads of help and advice in this forum
Peobody
Subscriber
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 314 times
United States of America

Re: Working with route names

Post by Peobody »

I ride with a buddy who has a BMW Nav. We routinely share routes and rarely ride one without one of us saying "my route shows us going straight", or "did we just miss a turn". We both use an excessive number of waypoints in our routes trying to prevent this but it still happens.
2008 Honda GL1800 Goldwing
1995 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
zūmo XT linked to Cardo Packtalk Bold and iPhone SE.
WilcoJunoHotel
Has liked: 5 times
United States of America

Post by WilcoJunoHotel »

The BMW Nav IV is basically a Zumo 660. The Nav V is basically a 590 and I think the worst model they had for using custom GPX files. The Nav VI is a lot better - it is closer to the XT.

Not sure which of the BMWs your buddy has but there are two things that I do that help with the BMV Nav VI: I always add a via point about 1/2 mile from the start of every leg. Unlike the 660, the BMW Nav VI and the V are extremely fussy about hitting that start point. If the start point is the back of the parking lot and I am in the front of the parking lot when I start, it will sometimes try to loop me back to the parking lot once I get rolling. Adding the via point usually fixes this.

The second thing that I do is I make sure both Navs are locked into the satellite and the route is showing on the screen before I move from any place that I have stopped and had to restart the Nav. The 660 is a bit slower to lock onto the satellite and I try to tell my guys to not just jump and go. This may seem like common sense but if you are group of 4 or 5 guys, the group has a mind of its own and they all take off without the Nav being locked in and then when it does finally lock in, it might try to steer you back to the start. Again, not everyone using these Navs wants to understand how they operate - they just want to ride/drive.

And as you probably know and I have learned, when the route is recalculated it may not always recalculate to the same route you had exported from Basecamp - depends on the number of vias/waypoints used. Ideally, I will put one at every turn but on a long trip this is a tedious process.
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@WilcoJunoHotel

@Peobody has described it well - the only calculation, that the Zumo XT will do at start, is when you are not(!) exact on the starting point! It then calculates a route to your choosed starting point, normally 'Start' or 'Next Access Point' (or similar, didn't exactly know how its called in english)

This is also a thing important to know when planning routes, at least when you are starting a route in an area with not-so-good gps reception! The 'Start' point ever is a Via- or Waypoint, which must be passed! So if you set the starting point of your route e.g. at the parking spot of your hotel in the mountains, the Zumo may need a bigger amount of time to get his exact position - so when your're driving off fastly, it may think you're not at the starting point and so guess what - after a short time it starts to recalculate and try to get you back to the starting point (Automatic recalculation on) or tells you, that you're off the route (Recalculation after asking) or didn't start the navigation at all (Recalculation off)...

We've seen this many times at our hotel while on our yearly motorbike holidays in southern Tyrol - it lays in a valley with relatively bad gps reception and if you start the navi, activate the route and also drive away rapidly, the chances are very good to see bikes stopping after 100 to 150 meters and manipulating at their navigation units... 8-)

There's a simple solution for this problem - normally you already know the direction, in which you will be driving! Just set the starting point around 500 meters from your house/hotel or so! This gives your Zumo a greater amount of time to get your exact position and you don't have to fear to miss the first point in your route!

As a picture says more than thousand words, her's a example how i start my routes - starting point is the parking lot of 'Hotel Mondschein' in the center of the map...
2023-05-03 (1).png
2023-05-03 (1).png (284.49 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
colirv
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by colirv »

Rofor wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:53 pm
There's a simple solution for this problem - normally you already know the direction, in which you will be driving! Just set the starting point around 500 meters from your house/hotel or so! This gives your Zumo a greater amount of time to get your exact position and you don't have to fear to miss the first point in your route!
This bears repeating. Even a 100 metres or so should be enough.
Colin
BMW R1250RS
https://www.namrider.com
Rofor
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 60 times
Austria

Post by Rofor »

@colirv: In an open field - yes!

But in my above example, in the Dolomites in a valley in the morning after a 'cold' start of the Zumo XT (i always turn it off completely) i would give him definitively more time to get a real good gps signal. Depends naturally also when you are turning on the Navi and how much time is between this and driving away...
Bye, Robert :)
(Actual: Tiger 800 XRx (2016), Garmin zumo XT, Cardo PackTalk, Nolan N70-2GT)
lkraus
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 122 times
United States of America

Post by lkraus »

WilcoJunoHotel wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:17 pm Thanks.

There are about 5 of us sharing GPX routes that 2 of us are creating in Basecamp. We have Zumo 660, BMW Nav VI, Zumo XT and now Drive65 (I think that is the correct model).

I am trying to make sure we all stay on the same GPX route taking into consideration all the idiosyncrasies of Basecamp and the various Zumo models. Yes, I know this is probably impossible especially when we have guys not understanding (or wanting to know) what goes on inside their Zumo when they ignore or miss a turn or waypoint.
Include the track with the route, and display both on the devices that support tracks. When in doubt, follow the track.
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Please pardon my ignorance here but how do you display a trip and a track at the same time?
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

raesewell wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:42 am Please pardon my ignorance here but how do you display a trip and a track at the same time?
- I create routes in BaseCamp.
- I then use the right-click "Create Track from Selected Route" option to create at track of the route.
- I then transfer both to the XT, sometimes to internal storage, sometime so the SD card.
You already know how to import and start a route so I'll skip that part.
To use a track on the XT:
- Go to Apps > Tracks
- Click the Spanner to access the Import option
- Import the track(s) you want
- Once in the Saved Tracks list, click the on you want displayed on the map.
- Click the Spanner. This will open a list of options.
The three to be most attentive to are "Set Color", "Track Width", and "Show on Map". My preferences for color and width are Black and Wider. The width settings sticks between uses. The color must be set each time you load a track.
Ticking the "Show on Map" option is what tells the XT to overlay the track on the map. It is independent of the route.
- Once your finished with these option click Done.
- DO NOT CLICK GO at this point. Just use the return button to exit out of the Tracks app.

The track line will now be visible on the map. You can is the View Map function to help determine whether your color and width selections will work for you. You can go back to the track options and test different choice. Color should be dramatically different from the color of the route line.

When you then use Trip Planner to load the route associated with the track, the route line will overlay the track line. Should the XT do a recalc that changes the route, the track line will become plainly visible allowing you to manually follow it if you choose.
raesewell
Been liked: 13 times
Great Britain

Post by raesewell »

Thank you for your reply, I don't have the "Show on map" option but it displays on the map anyway.
Peobody
Subscriber
United States of America

Post by Peobody »

raesewell wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:32 pm Thank you for your reply, I don't have the "Show on map" option but it displays on the map anyway.
The "Show on map" option is a tick box that allows for turning it off when no longer needed. It is off (unticked) by default so I don't know how it could be showing on the map. While in the Edit Saved Track screen it will show up on the map in the side panel but not when you exit out the Track app and then view the map. I wonder how you will disable it from showing on the map once you are done with that route.